• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question about controller thumbsticks (replacement)

jakeeer

My favorite controller needs its right thumbstick replaced and I found the correct thumbstick on AliExpress. I'm wondering if I can order some more of the same model thumbsticks for different controllers and whether it'll yield me the same feel and response as my favorite controller. I'm not sure what it is about this old PowerA Spectra that I have but my aim is so accurate on it, and it feels so good to use. On every other controller I've used (and I've used most of them) I can't aim as well. I think it could be differences in the the acceleration curve, but I'm not sure. I'm wondering whether these differences are mainly caused by the thumbsticks themselves, or whether they're due to differences in controller firmware. I've heard mixed answers. In another thread someone claimed that the numbers on potentiometers refer to their sensitivity, curve type (logarithmic vs. linear), and dead zone space, but I couldn't find much supporting info online. On AliExpress I also found the same thumbsticks but slightly larger. I bought them preemptively, but it would be great if I could install them on some other controllers I have to make aiming feel the same as on the controller I really like.

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
The thumbsticks themselves are usually just two potentiometers moved by the stick. The quality of the potentiometers and joystick mechanicals can affect their reproducible/reliable behavior which affects how well your body learns to use them, but I doubt the potentiometers themselves have a curve. Probably the curve is firmware or software controlled.

jakeeer

I replaced my joystick and it feels great. I also disassembled my newer PowerA Spectra controller to compare the thumbsticks and they do actually use the same exact thumbstick module actually, so yes, the differences in how the sticks feel must be due to a difference of firmware.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X w/Eisblock XPX
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop, Corsair ML/LL fans
Memory 48GB Kingston Fury DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF w/Vector TUF
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Cleaning the sensors may also help. I had problems with a Dualshock4 but cleaning its left stick's sensor helped.