1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

question about dual core processors

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by joinmeindeath417, Aug 5, 2006.

1. joinmeindeath417

joinmeindeath417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So today i just got an AMD 3800+ dual core processor (Socket AM2) um can anyone tell me why its better to have dual core, cause i dont really get any proformance increase or at least it doesnt seem like it...keep in mind im not running Windows xp 64-bit edition and i basically shelled out my case made this one (new mobo and processor and ram ect) and used my existing windows copy on the HDD

2. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can do multiple tasks faster without slowdown...and it's futureproof(kinda)

3. g12rxz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, the 3800+ is probably equal in single thread performance to a 3400-3600+'ish processor. Like AZN said, dual core's power is in your ability to multitask. I think there are a few games that support multiple threads, and when more come out, you will really notice the difference, but for now it really is future proofing. Socket AM2 should be around a while, and all the processors that are out for AM2 are more or less copies of the 939 versions with a DDR2 controller to fill the SKU's for AM2 while we wait for an answer to Conroe.

4. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    The X2 3800+ is actually equal to the AMD Athlon 64 3200+, both 2.0Ghz, but the X2 3800+ has twice the L1 and L2 Cache, which gives it slightly better performance in some single-core apps. The games that support dual-core(multi-thread) that I know of are Quake IV and Call of Duty 2. Maybe a few others with new patches too. You have AM2, so the new AM3 processors coming out 2007 I believe will work on AM2 boards, but without DDR3.

5. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its for that rush you get when you know you're playing oblivion at 60fps while encoding a dvd.......

dual core will really pay off in a few years (im hoping sooner) as more and more dual threaded apps come out.

for example, rendering in 3ds max with a dual core proc totally rocks. its like having 4ghz of processing power at your fingertips. amazing.