1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

question about multiple partitions/boot

Discussion in 'Storage' started by CyberDruid, Jun 14, 2008.

1. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    I reckon I will find out soon enough but I was curious to know how many partitions you can set as primary regarding booting different OS/installations on a single drive.

Does anyone know about that?

The scenario is I want to mirror my current Dual Boot set up onto a TB drive that I plan to use externally (eSATA). I've got Vista Ultimate and XP Pro SP2 on two seperate drives on my SkullTrail..so basically I just pick the RAID0 array or the Seagate 7200.10 as boot device to control the dual boot. Vista also decided to add a boot option for me...gee thanks.

Soooo when I use Acronis to mirror the installation(s) I have not tried setting up two primary partions and putting both installation on a single drive yet. I never had a large enough drive lol...

What do you think? Will it blend?

And saying I pull that off what are the chances of adding a third Primary partion (I don't think it works like this....) and mirroring an installation of my Wife's rig onto the TB drive?

From what I know you only get 2 bootable partitions per drive...but maybe I'm confused.

Any clues?

2. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    i think as long as the bootloader stuff with all the os selections is on the bootable partition you can have as many partitions as you like,
    just add the os's to the main bootloader and it should be good to go, xp is easy to do(boot.ini), vista i havent looked into fully yet

CyberDruid says thanks.
  3. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    The thing about XP/Vista is normally you need to have XP installed then Vista...Vista creates a boot menu (somehow) and that's that.

But since I plan to use Acronis I sense that it might not work smoothly.

But I understand what you mean about one bootable partition and any number (almost) or logical partitions that could load an OS.

4. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    you can add options to vistas bootloader once you copy them across, but its a bit of a pain at first,
    or could maybe have a partition to install vista to when all is copied across, then it should give a boot menu with all selections,
    it seems when installing vista it puts its bootloader on first bootable drive/partition, then adds what os's it finds,

5. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    That helps. It sounds like a pain but I guess if I create a primary partition and put my XP on it and then create another partition and mirror Vista on it There is no Guarantee that Vista will write a boot loader onto the first partition...since it's being cloned...not properly installed...and the clone of Vista (from a RAID0 array lol) likely has the Boot Loader on the RAID array...not the lone drive XP is installed on.

See that's why I am thinking it's not going to do what I want it to do...the cloned bootloader will look for the XP install...but not in the right place...

DO you think it will repair itself and locate and assign the XP installation?

And then ZOMG try and add a third OS?

6. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    you could try the startup repair on vista install disk, might work,
    if not id have a fourth partition and try install vista to that for its bootloader, can delete partition afterwards but bootloader remains on first

7. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the ideas.