1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question about Steam: adding retail games...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ben Clarke, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Guys, I have STALKER, Doom 3 and Doom 3 ROE... as I get free games with my GPU, I downloaded and installed it, see that STALKER and the two Doom games are available on Steam, and see the "Activate game with Steam" option. I click it, input my CD key, and it gives me an error saying "This key is invalid. Make sure you didn't miss type it...." any idea what causes this? The keys are legit, and install fine with the game. Steam won't accept them though.

2. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    can you register the game normally?
    can you ring them up and tell them?

PS i have no idea how to use steam nor what it does, i'm just throwing some ideas out there

3. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Free games tend to have different CD-keys to your normal retail ones, to differentiate between retail games you've paid for and those you got free. Basically Steam won't recognise the key as it won't have those keys in it's database.

4. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    I did the same thing and actually emailed the people at Steam with a picture of my CD key. Here's what they said:

Hope that helps :toast:

5. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    You cannot use retail 3rd party keys on steam sadly. Only steam keys or 1st party keys (games made or published by valve) work with steam. The best you can do is go to my games, look at the bottom, and select add non-steam game...

6. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Damn. So if I lose the disks, I won't be able to download them from steam? Fook....

Thanks anyway guys.

7. GLeN New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought cod4 from Game and it says the same thing, i think steams just being a bitch with its games, il have to ask them too