1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question about Studio Monitors (Speakers)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Reventon, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to start producing music. First, I will need the equipment. I want to get some good speakers and possibly some studio monitors like these - KRK Systems RP5G2 Rokit G2 Powered Studio Monitor ... - but possibly cheaper.

I will be producing mostly rap/hip-hop beats. My question is should I get a subwoofer? I've heard some speakers like these can be bright, and getting good lows is hard without a sub.
  2. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    No, you don't need a subwoofer really. The speakers you're getting are known (mostly to old skool) as Near-Field Reference Monitors.
    You will be spoiling the "closest possible thing to natural sound" with a sub, IMO.
    I use a set of cheap Kool Sound Pearl 5 studio speakers, they look like the KRK's (yellow cone) and give a gorgeous sound.

EDIT: Oh, and I use them for Rap and Hip-Hop aswell ;)
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
    Reventon says thanks.
  3. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I figured that was the case. I was just wondering about some of the lower frequencies, like sub-75hz. But I would imagine a 2-way monitor would be fine, I figured I just ask. Thanks.

Also I've been looking at some KRKs but they are a little more than I am willing to spend. I know they would be better than these - http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...Reference-Speaker-System-pair?sku=600092#used - but the M-Audios are half the price :|
  4. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    It's worth taking a look at some reviews before you click buy. I've heard good things about M-Audio and the Alesis M1's, but it all depends on which model you buy. I paid £180 for mine and they're cheap, but good-cheap if you know what I mean lol
    Reventon says thanks.
  5. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    that's all i have to add - $150 is too cheap for quality monitors. I haven't used the ones you posted personally but if you want it to be anywhere near quality, you will be spending upwards of $230ish apiece, easily up to $400 or so.
    scaminatrix, Reventon and lemode say thanks.
  6. lemode New Member

Thanks Received:
    Playing off what Digi said...

One thing I would advise on is splurging on monitors.

Note that like most M-Audio products, the Bx5a’s & 8s are garbage and made poorly. Don't waste your money.

I had rokit5s they were decent…but if you’re a serious producer and/or want your studio to grow in the future, you should get 8’s. Friendly advice and I wish I had before i started making music 10 years ago.

I have the Yamaha HS80’s. Alone can show me where my sub bass is but I also have the Yamaha HS10w (subwoofer) to see what other elements may have bass I haven’t encountered or heard…but I am working on filthy dubstep so I need a sub.

Monitors are one element that pay for themselves over time and they should last a long while.

KRK Rokit8's or Yamaha HS80's are perfect for the bedroom producer as their sound is as true as I've heard.
    scaminatrix, Reventon and digibucc say thanks.
  7. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I won't be recording just composing beats. But thank you. I will look around more. I had doubts that those AV40s were the quality I was looking for. I'll see if I can sell a few things around here for some cash to put towards some better monitors. I can't spend too much though because I need money for a MPK49, a studio sound card, and I will be getting Fruity Loops for $100.
    scaminatrix says thanks.
  8. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
  9. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Comparing the specs to mine, they seem quite good (better than mine). They even seem better than the KRK RP5

Just had a quick skim through of a review on those Behringer's,

Quote:
    If you are on a very tight budget, then the B2030As offer very good value and they can be made to perform perfectly adequately in smaller rooms, provided that you take due care with their placement and experiment with the EQ switch settings. I think the designers have used their available manufacturing budget extremely well in producing a useful and good-looking monitor at such a low UK price point, though there's no denying that spending more money will buy you better performance and greater accuracy. With monitors you generally get what you pay for, but in this case it's probably fair to say that you get slightly more than you pay for!
    End Quote

Obviously it's a UK review, but it sounds good.

Source
    Reventon says thanks.
  10. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah those Pearls are nice too. I've seen a few people on YouTube with those and I looked them up. The Behringers are priced right though.
  11. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Yup those Behringer's sound spot on for the money, although from what digibucc and lemode said, you might want to consider saving up for some KRK's.
  12. lemode New Member

Thanks Received:
    i would steer clear of Behringer's, M-Audio, And Mackie monitors...mackies give off unrealistic bass and i outright just didn't like how muddy they sounded and Behringer's sound has annoying sheen to them and do not compair to even krk rokits whatsoever.

while i stand by saving for rokits or yamaha 8's, the thing you should do is go to a local guitar center or sam ash and listen to music you want to make so you can get an idea how each sound. don't listen to online reviews and ratings stars...decide what you like for yourself.
    digibucc and Reventon say thanks.
  13. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I will try. I probably won't be getting them for about a month anyway so I have some time to decide. I might have to save up for those KRKs. Nice specs. I can't really compare much because I haven't had a chance to hear these in person, which is why I came here for opinions.
  14. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
  15. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Guitar Denter link doesn't work. lol.

Here's a bit of advice...don't buy speakers of any type from a company that also makes electronics. Buy from a company that makes nothing but speakers.

Good places will let you demo the speakers in your home. Try 'em out, heck, try out many pairs!

Speakers are a huge part of an audio rig, and not something to skimp on, at all.
  16. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure KRK makes only studio monitors. But I just realized they were listed as in store only :(. $100 a piece, the Generation 2's are $150 a piece.
  17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I won't buy speakers with a front-facing bass port, myself. ALL KRK monitors have front-facing ports.

I also disagree with forgoing the use of a subwoofer. I proper calibration will make sure it's not over-powering things. I typically run my subs at less than 25% volume.

I picked up some dynaudio monitors the other day('bout a week ago or so), but they'd be qway out of your price range($1500)
  18. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Most of any studio monitors have front-facing ports...
  19. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    So? call me elitist! :laugh:

(You'll notice that most high-end monitors do not)

Personally, for hip-hop type stuff, I'd be looking at tannoys with the matching sub, but I think they are like $800 a piece.

And yes, that's why I post in these threads...I use high-end gear. No reason to skimp on the tools of your trade...inferior tools lead to inferior products.
  20. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I don't have $1600. I'm 17.
  21. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    So look for ones without front-facing ports. The Yamaha recommendation is OK, but so are all the other ones, too. It's not like these guys are giving bad advice...not at all(except the sub bit, however, in the low-mod range pricing, I'd stay away from subs too.)

Don't be afraid to buy used, either. If you have a local instrument shop, like guitar denter, go in and see what they got. Maybe, if you are lucky, they do rentals, and will sell you an old rental set for a good deal. Also it's a good idea to check out shops that sell band instruments, like flutes and trumpets, etc.
  22. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Sam Ash near me and they have monitors there. I might have to go up there tomorrow if I can convince my dad to make the drive.
  23. Reventon

Reventon New Member

Thanks Received:
  24. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you don't have 10K to put into room treatment to build a proper flat listening enviroment devoid of peaks and nulls and resonances, I'd skip the sub. Go for the nearfields and look into treating the room as best you can.
    cadaveca says thanks.
  25. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received: