1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question about value

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Jflynn0, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Jflynn0

Thanks Received:
    I need to buy a video card and the choices that I am looking at are buying a 290x from a person on the buy/sell thread. I see that someone has one for $270 if still available or buy a new unopened evga SC gtx 780 for $400 from someone on craigslist locally. Any thoughts I just put together a system intel 4690, msi z97 MPower, 8gb of memory, and afew SSD's. I play Battlefield 4 and supreme commander FA at 1900x1200 running two monitors

2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Both are good cards, if you just want the most bang for your buck, I would say the 290x @ $270 would be it. If you care about newness, warranty (if they provide proof of purchase from an authorized vendor and haven't registered it or can transfer registration) then get the GTX. Both are damn good cards...just depends on what YOU want at that point. Some are willing to take the risks of used parts at a huge discount, I've done this dozens of times and only been stung a couple. Buying new you can still have issues but have usually 1-year of warranty or more. Though dealing with that vendor/mfg support might leaving you wishing you'd saved your $$$ on buying something else.

It's all a risk. Do your research, both cards will scream through both games. SupCom FA is CPU bound and single threaded...I can get it to slow down on my OC'd 4770k build because if it's inherent design....granted it takes A LOT of units on a huge map to do so now versus previous builds.

Have you looked into Planetary Annihilation? That's a fun game. I love it. It doesn't have the unit depth that FA has, but it's an experience that FA can't touch imho. Check out the strategy gaming thread in my sig. :toast:

3. Jflynn0

Thanks Received:
    I only thought about the gtx 780 becuase i can pick it up tomorrow and can play right away (the kid in me). I have not played Planetary Annihilation but will check it out, I have played FA for about 6 years and been playing it on i7 920 with no problem but started having problems with my system so had to build a new one.

alright another video card popped up on craiglist evga 780ti for 500 that still has a warranty is that a good deal for this card I cant find any other used 780ti cards to compare it to for price

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2014
  4. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Hell the 290x at 270 is an excellent deal considering new they cost 400-500/600 bux.

5. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    well the 290X was a better deal (than the 780 and the 780Ti at the price you listed) i got a 290 (who is the 780 counterpart as the 290X is the 780Ti one) for 190$ kinda the same deal as you, the only problem with AMD card is to be sure that the low price is not because the were used for cryptocurrencies mining ... (luckily mine was not)

6. Jflynn0

Thanks Received:
    aww i think they were used for mining. What problem does that present when they are used for mining?

7. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    it depend if it was used or over ab'used ... some miner card are well treated in a good ventilated environment and not at a insane clocking on core/mem and can still be used for any other use, and some are F.U.B.A.R and artifact like mad once you try to do something more demanding than reading a DVD with them .... even at stock or reduced clock

Jflynn0 says thanks.
  8. Jflynn0

Thanks Received:
    thanks I didnt realize that about mining cards