1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question About Watercooling GPU's

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by helloWorld, May 10, 2012.

1. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have never watercooled a GPU. I am wondering about these GTX 670s and the thing that is worrying me is, which ones use the reference PCB? I assume that gpu waterblock manufacturers develop blocks that will work on reference pcbs, so that means that I need a 670 that has a reference pcb. This is confusing, because how do you tell, and there are so many that claim to be using the 680s pcb???

I have my eye on the gigabyte windforce 3 fan one, but which one of these 670s uses the reference 670 pcb, or at least the reference 680 pcb?

2. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Most water blocks are made by friendly crowds who will gladly answer your queries. There are NO 670 water blocks at the moment (as far as i know). I've seen retailers advertising 680/670 water blocks but the 680 water block will not fit a 670 PCB.

As for custom build - be very wary. EK Water Blocks have a configurator for their blocks. I would e-mail each company if you see a product and inquire as to it's compatibility.

http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/

http://www.koolance.com/

http://www.swiftech.com/

http://www.xs-pc.com/

helloWorld says thanks.
  3. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright. Thank You.

4. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for double post. Found this and I decided to believe them and take the chance that the waterblock in question will fit it. If not, I can wait for them to make a waterblock for it.

5. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    FYI, EKs cooling configurator lists the Gigabyte Windforce 3x GTX 670 as using the reference 680 PCB, which it looks like they do.

This means, at least for that model 670, you can buy any full cover waterblock designed for reference 680s.

the54thvoid says thanks.
  6. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Cool, very cool indeed. :toast:

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  7. nleksan

Thanks Received:
    That's very good to know, thanks for finding this out! I have been searching for the same answer as I have been thinking strongly about the 670 due to the saved $100, amazing performance, and likely much higher availability. I just really want a 4GB 670 as I believe it will help with SLI on multiple monitors or even a single monitor @ 2560x1440p, especially with high AA, plus I'd rather have 4GB V-RAM for 2x GPUs than 2GB...

It seems like a good amount of companies are debuting 4GB GTX670 models, but does anyone know if 4GB = no full coverage blocks? Or would a regular 670 block work with just some extra RAM thermal pads?

8. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is my opinion.

Just like ram on a motherboard, I don't think vram will ever get hot. I have never cooled my ram, and it has never failed me. I also believe they have made gpus in the past where some of the vram was on the backside of thr gpu, where there is no active cooling anyways.

Just my opinion with no empirical evidence.