1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question about watercooling pump and radiator

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by legends84, Apr 24, 2011.

1. legends84

legends84

Thanks Received:
    hello all,

I have a question, I ve build a system with custom watercooling. the cooling specs are:

EK-Supreme HF - Plexi CPU block
    EK-FB ASUS Crosshair 4 - Nickel
    Black Ice GTS Stealth240 Black 240mm Radiator
    EK Compression Fittings
    EK-DCP 4.0 (12V DC Pump)
    EK-Multioption RES X2 - 150 Advanced
    Feser Tube - FT - Active UV Hose - ID 3/8" - UV RED
    Double Protect Ultra 1l - Clear

I've been thinking to buy a GTX570/580 with GTX EK waterblock and also changing my HyperX DDR3 2000mhz to Corsair Dominator GT DDR3+ EK Dominator Ram Block

my Question are, Will My pump EK-DCP 4.0 has enough juice to support the loop for all that? and will my Black Ice GTS Stealth240 Radiator have enough potential to cool all of them? should I add more rad?

thanks...
  2. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    It might have enough juice but barely(actually probably not).... Also I think you will need more than just that rad. Something at least like a 3x120 or a 4x120mm rad (Thick or double) preferably.

I recently just tried adding a second rad to the set up I list bellow...

Pump>CPU>GPU>GPU>480 Rad> Res.

The two gpu blocks were both Universal blocks and not full blocks. (Less resistance than full cover) And my MCW-655-B (Which is more powerful than you pump) could not handle the new set up which was....

Pump>CPU>280mm Rad>GPU>GPU>480 Rad>Res

So if a higher flow pump could not handle the setup above....My suggestion would be to do a second loop.... or add a second pump to your setup.

Because I think you will be over doing it.

***Edit***
    Let me add to it.....my pump was able to pump it.... but I actually saw an increase in temps until I added a second pump. So that's what I mean it was not able to handle it. The flow was so restricted it didn't cool well enough. What you are talking about is adding even more than I had...I also know the rad you have is very restrictive....I had the exact same rad except in 280mm size.

Your talking about
    Pump>CPU>possible bigger Rad>Motherboard Block>GPU Block>RAM Block>Res. I would say you maybe able to do it.... but not as well as if you went to too loops. (Plus I am not adding in possible angled fittings you might have)

Of course this is just a guess(or an opinion on my experience) You could try it and if it doesn't work.... you could just get a second pump and split the lines.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
    legends84 says thanks.
  3. legends84

legends84

Thanks Received:
    thanks.. i might be adding another 240 rad and also looking for another pump.. maybe a Laing D5 12V the one with speed control..