1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question about X800 GTO and Powersupply

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bmark3, Dec 9, 2005.

1. bmark3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm new here so please bare with me.

I currently have a 256MB ATI Radeon x600 SE w/ Hypermemory that came with my Dell 5100 computer. I was looking to upgrade it and came across the connect3D X800 GTO card on newegg and then was pointed to this forum from there.

My computer is pretty much stock except I've added 1 GB of ram to get 2 GB total. I got the memory at work for free and its just 4 sticks of the stock Dell 512 MB ram. I'm not sure of the brand at the moment.

So my question is I went ahead and ordered the x800 GTO today. I want to install it as is and am not hugely interested in overclocking it as I see it as a huge improvement from the stock x600. My question is that the Dell comes stock with a 305W power supply and I'm a little worried that it will now be underpowered. I know that the ATI websites recommend 350W but I read on the Dell site that the 305W is the average power supply output and that it is actually rated up to 400W.

I don't have a ton of other hardware installed in my computer, DVD-Drive, the 2GB ram and the HD is pretty much it.

Have I gotten myself into trouble here or should things be ok as long as I don't push the x800?

Has anyone else ever used one of the x600 SE's before? I'm just curious about the performance increase that I can expect.

Thanks for all your help. I'm reading a ton on the forums and am learning a lot. I look forward to contributing here.

2. Mr_Torch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your Dell has a proprietary power supply unit...in other words you can't use an aftermarket power supply with that Dell, you would have to go with a Dell that has a higher wattage and more amps on the rails...;)

3. noneed4me2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    you might be ok, I have an emachine with a 300w psu and have added a couple fans and a GTO card with power adapted connected running 24/7 for weeks with no problems. I will be upgrading my psu once finances permit.

4. bmark3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is this what the proprietary PSU should look like? Is this the only way they look? Mine does not have the extra connection pictured on the left. There is only one larger connection from the PSU to the motherboard. I'm wondering if mine is indeed a Dell only PSU. Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

5. Mr_Torch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes that pic is of a proprietary PSU connection, if yours doesn't have the extra connector, your probably ok with an aftermarket PSU

6. bmark3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also does anyone know if these cards have a direct connection to the PSU? If so is this connection compatiable with the ones offered on my Dell PSU? That was a little confusing sorry if you don't understand what I mean.

There is a picture here that shows an extra wire (on the right). Thats the one I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

7. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The power supply should still connect the the x800GTO fine. It's usually only the motherboard conncetor that is proprietary.

8. Mr_Torch New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is what will connect to your PSU it has a male and female end on it

[​IMG]

9. bmark3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just hope that my power supply offers a connection to accept that with the right number of Pins. Right now the only avaliable one I see open has 4 pins. We'll see when it arrives I suppost. Thanks again for your help guys! :)

EDIT TO ADD: Is that just to power the fan?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  10. Mr_Torch New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is the extra power for the PCIe....... the connector is just a standard one you will find from your PSU :D

11. bmark3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is this what I will plug it into?

[​IMG]

I can't tell if that is the right thing or not. I hope I don't need 2x 4 pin molex connections because I only have the one avaliable.

Man I'm thinking way too much about this.:)