1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question for EVGA 9600GT owners. Is your card loud?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by DeadlyNinja, May 11, 2008.

1. DeadlyNinja New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unlike many people, I don't care too much about overclockability when it's good enough at default speed. I want a relatively low noise card for my computer. I have my tower right there on the desk, and my speakers (one of them of course) are next to it. If you own an EVGA 512-P3-N861-AR (basically a default clock card), do you think it's loud on load? I know most cards are pretty silent when they're at idle, so that I don't have the worry about, but when it's at load, it's also when I'm playing a game, and that can get annoying. I heard the XFX 9600GT cards are noisy, so now I'm looking at EVGA.

2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I recommend the Palit Sonic 9600GT, it is a non-reference PCB, has 2-phase GPU power instead of 1 phase (supposed to run cooler), and a Zalman style cooler that does an excellent job. It runs defualt at 35%, yet kept my GPU at lower 30's (34-36C) idle and I couldn't even hear it, I set the fan to 50%, still didn't notice the sound and it was even cooler, 32C idle, and lower 40's load.

I have since vmodded the GPU power to 1.38v, but even at that and fan at 60% (just noticable) I am hitting 37C idle, and 60C load. Pretty impressive.

The cooler on this card is a 2-heatpipe design, pretty effective for it's size.

The cards you're looking at, if they have the reference coolers, the flat, cover most of the card with the small fan on the RH end of the card (near the power plug-in), they all sound the same...they are the same..just a different sticker. If not, then I haven't seen the card...I saw the Palit, and that was it for me...I bought it and have been very happy ever since. Definately does a great job stock, and I am an OC-er so I couldn't help but to OC, stock I hit 810GPU, 1950 Shader and 1100 Memory, with the VMOD, well see my sys specs :D.

You could always stick an AC S1 or S2 cooler on there and a fan for great cooling and noise control, or a zalman vf900, etc. Sorry I don't have one of those cards, but I figured I'd at least letcha know about my experiences with a different card from a well-known company outside the US that is well-worth looking at for purchase.

:toast:

ShadowFold says thanks.
  3. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, my PALiT 8800GT has a similar cooler and it keeps it really cool even under heavy overclocks. The sonic edition cooler is even better. Its pretty quiet too, cant hear it unless its at 60% fan speed or higher(I keep it at 100% all the time cause noise is not a factor to me.)

4. webwizard

webwizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am running 2 XFX PVT94PYDSU GeForce 9600GT 512MB Alpha Dog cards. I have to say it runs cooler with the stock cooler than any card I have had. There is no noise problem with my cards. Came with 740MHz have it OC to 825 and still runs very cool .

GPU Temperature : 38 °C

5. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm running 2 evga 9600 gt's and there quiet. Even overclocked. Go for it.