• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question: How much profit do you generate off of one sale of a game?

System Name Sony Vaio - VGNFW390-CTO
Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9550 (2.66GHz)
Cooling Stock
Memory 4GB DDR2-SDRAM (DDR2-800, 2GBx2)
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3650 with 512MB vRAM (pitiful card)
Storage 320GB SATA Hard Disk Drive [7200 rpm]
Display(s) LCD 16.4" (XBRITE-FullHD™)
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX
Software Windows 7
So, I've been very curious and researching a lot about the gaming development world lately. I was curious if anyone knew the answer here. Say, if you bought one XBOX 360 game brand new for $60, how much is the developer of that game actually making in profit? In the first 2 months of its release, Gears of War 2 sold over 4 million copies. So, taking into consideration an average $60/unit, that's about $240,000,000. Obviously, you're not going to get back nearly that much after paying for licensing fees, engineers, developers, artists, voice over cast and crew, packaging, shipping, advertising, and the hundreds of other various costs. Just curious, thanks.

EDIT: In case anyone's interested, I found a cool Pie Chart slide that shows a breakdown. It's pretty interesting:
http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/19/ps3-xbox360-costs-tech-cx_rr_game06_1219expensivegames_slide.html

Last edited:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
There are quite a few business model that come into play with this sort of thing. It depends on who the developer is, and how they entered into the production of the game at the beginning.

Let's say you have a dev studio and you are contracted to create a game for someone. The contract would probably be a flat cost (to cover the development and testing), plus some type of royalties that are dependent upon sales.

If as a studio you create your own game, then it is a completely different story. You would be the one looking for publishers and marketting. You could potentially make a mint if the game does well, but in this case if your game is a turd you are going to be hurting.

Sometimes a company is hired to produce a game and required to get their own funding for the dev and testing of the game (which should wash out in the sales portion of the contract). This can be again, quite lucritive or quite risky.

There is no real way to determinethe dollar amount of profit that a gaming company makes on any given game as there are too many variable in play that we know nothing about.

System Name Sony Vaio - VGNFW390-CTO
Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9550 (2.66GHz)
Cooling Stock
Memory 4GB DDR2-SDRAM (DDR2-800, 2GBx2)
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3650 with 512MB vRAM (pitiful card)
Storage 320GB SATA Hard Disk Drive [7200 rpm]
Display(s) LCD 16.4" (XBRITE-FullHD™)
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX
Software Windows 7
True enough. I figured it would be hard. I wonder if there's a way I could find out numbers on one franchise or one game...

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Most comanies will release their sales for a given time period, but that does not tell you dollar amounts. When a company is publicly traded on the stock market (they have public shareholders) they have to release profit/loss statements. This too, does not give you exact details for a game but if you start digging, and doing the math, you can get quite a bit of informtion that would seem to be related to a specific release. An easier way is to watch the gaming business sites and watch for interviews with dev company executives. Once in awhile they will toss out information like that.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back ... $5

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Most comanies will release their sales for a given time period, but that does not tell you dollar amounts. When a company is publicly traded on the stock market (they have public shareholders) they have to release profit/loss statements. This too, does not give you exact details for a game but if you start digging, and doing the math, you can get quite a bit of informtion that would seem to be related to a specific release. An easier way is to watch the gaming business sites and watch for interviews with dev company executives. Once in awhile they will toss out information like that.
Yeah, especially a success story to get investors excited. How pofitable a game is depends entirely on development costs compared to actual sales figures. Some games had millions of dollars invested in their creation expecting it to be wildly successful (10+ million copies sold). Some games are developed with budgets in the tens of thousands of dollars and sell 1+ million copies. Both end up with about the same amount of profit but, as with any industry Cost Over Value (COV) is a trade secret.

COV is how much it cost to bring the product to market divided by how much total money was recouped in sales. If it cost you $1 million to make a game and you grossed $10 million in sales, you had a COV of $0.1 which means for every sell you made, the product only cost you 10 cents to get it to them. Success stories to that degree are met with a lot of failures too. Very, very few titles are wildly successful.

System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD
if its anything like a cd id say not allot of the overal amount for that cd/ or game. I mean theres so many people that comeinto play for making a cd, studio's producers, managers, record companies (take a huge slice) marketing etc the list goes on so i imagine its not just one company who makes a game so im guesing profits are split between the lot and itl state in contracts who gets how much bassed on hoe much work each company puts into the final product (or that the idea)