1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Question] How to change HDD size in RAID - Boot, Intel, Windows

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by theeldest, Jul 2, 2012.

1. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    Hey Everyone,

I just got a few new drives to replace the 640GB drives that make up the RAID10 I boot from. I'll be swapping the 640s for 4x 2TB drives.

My question is on the mechanics of "how?"

Normally I'd just reinstall everything but it all works very nicely right now and this current Windows Installation is only a few months hold.

Is there a way to swap disks one-by-one and grow the array?
    (I'm pretty sure this is a "no").

Is there a way to clone the RAID array to a single disk then clone it back to a new array?

Is there a better way that I haven't thought of?

Thanks!

2. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    In case anyone comes to this thread looking for the answer:

1. You can NOT expand an array (by adding discs or increasing disc size) with an Intel chipset RAID.
    2. Cloning is easy-peasy.

The Cloning process is built into Windows 7.
    1. Go into Backup and Restore and create a System Image.
    2. Create a Restore DVD
    3. Change drives and setup new RAID in BIOS utility
    4. Boot to Restore Disc
    5. Select your previously created System Image as the source for restoration.
    6. Sit back and wait

Some things I hadn't considered:
    1. My backup image is attached via eSATA. On my motherboard it uses a J. Micron controller. I had to supply this driver during the restoration process on a USB thumb drive.
    2. The restoration will copy your original partitioning scheme. You'll need to use Drive Management to enlarge your partition.
    3. If the original partition is MBR, the new one will be MBR. MBR has a 2TiB limit.

This last bit was the most unexpected bit. I've got a 4TB array but can only create a 2TiB partition. I'm not too worried as I didn't do the upgrade for capacity but for performance. But FYI.