1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question on HDD and SSD temperatures, and cooling.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Black Panther, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm using HwInfo to monitor the temps.

The HDD is an external one.

On the Black Panther system (see system specs below avatar) the external HDD temp would be in the high 40's and the Intel SSD in the low/mid 30's.

On the Bengal system the same external HDD would be in the low/mid 30's and the Sandisk SSD in the high 40's.

:wtf:

Makes no sense. The external HDD is always in the same place, with the same storage stuff in it, there's no reason for it to get so much warmer when connected to my newly built system?

And why is the SSD of the new system getting so much warmer than the SSD of the old system? If anything, the case of the new system has a much better airflow.

:confused:

And finally, is it safe and normal for an SSD to reach 48 degrees? Would you suggest I move it to be right in front of the intake fan or is it irrelevant?

Thanks.
  2. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Hey Bp, I am wondering if the new system is polling the drives more. Is there any program or programs running on the new system that maybe accessing the drives that's not on the other system?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not really. In both systems I've got the OS and Steam installed on the SSD's.

The external HDD is always the same, just music, videos, photos, utility progs, benchmarking progs etc..

If anything the old system should have more junk on the SSD than the new system - I installed the OS and everything on the new system 2 weeks ago whereas the OS etc on the old system has been there for more than a year.

The stuff on the external HDD is the same, I only change pc's.
  4. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I am more concerned over the external drive then the internal ssd. The internal drive could be a difference in manufacturing between the to makers, case placement, airflow over it. what I was wondering if there is a piece of software that has been installed on the new system that is accessing the drives every so often and not letting it spin down. That or could be a bios setting or os sleep setting that isn't letting the external drive spin down. It should go to sleep after a certain amount of inactivity. When it does the temps will fall. My slave drive on my main system spins down after like 15 mins of inactivity. Only down side is that you have to wait a few seconds for it to spin back up when you access it after it goes to "sleep". Or liek I said I wonder if there is a program accessing the drive every so often and keeping it spun up.
    Crunching for Team TPU