1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question regarding CPU-z

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by TechnicalFreak, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Hi

I downloaded the latest version of CPU-z.

According to it , I get two values. Now, I have heard from so many sources that I do NOT have Dual Channel (fine with me). But what I want to know is -why- two different values.
    Take a look:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/roger_of_sweden/cpu-z.jpg

The one column that is marked up with light green, is the BIOS settings I have set myself (according to Elixir's database this should be correct). And at POST it say 400Mhz.

So the column marked up in lightred (almost pink) why does that show up??

According to ASUS : "The Socket754 doesn't support dual channel, however the CPU does". I don't get it :confused: , and it should infact say 333Mhz and that confuses me even more.. ever since I bought it it has NEVER (excuse me for shouting) ever shown 333Mhz at POST. Until some idiot (me!) tried to ASUS Update-winflash-gone terribly wrong tried to act smart :banghead:

2. membreya New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's just the SPD values for the RAM (Serial Presence Detect) ie the settings that will always be associated with your RAM. It's just show what values the RAM would be running if it were at 166MHz

3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Man, that makes me mad right there! Why in the hell would AMD do this?!

Just venting here but doesn't that seem ironic?

4. Mandown

Mandown New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its all good don't worry about, i get that with my 512mb sticks as well.

5. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Most DDR memory has a couple of settings, they're different steps that can be set. The number you seen at post is a result of the DDR in effect. Your 200mhz speed doubled, or now rather, the 166mhz doubled to 333mhz.

Dual-channel doesn't have anything to do with it however. Dual channel is a benefit of two separate memory banks running in tandem and splitting the workload evenly, thereby increasing overall bandwidth. Like your HD's being in a RAID configuration. However the dual-channel AMD solution (when your board was made) was only 2% to 5% faster at the same speed than the single-channel 754 solutions. Not really a big deal as it's a REALLY small difference.

If you're still posting at 333, and you can see the 200mhz speed in Cpuz, go into your bios, you should be able to adjust your speed there. When you flash bios it pretty much gets rid of any and all settings you made yourself. No reason not to go back and do it again.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  6. And they also claim that it is models after K8 that have support for Dual Channel. And some of them mobo's are even worse than mine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2008
  7. It's not posting 333 anymore. It did it for 2 reasons:
    1.Latest BIOS by ASUS for the K8N-E Deluxe is wrong.
    2.Something DID happen to my BIOS, but it's ok now. It's set to 200 (and shows 400Mhz at post :confused: ). I have ordered some spare EEPROM's just in case I want to mess things up again.

8. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    How did you get it working again?

9. Went back to same place where I bought the mobo from (they only sell computer related stuff). They have this thing that looks like a copy machine, you take 1 EEPROM (with latest BIOS) and an empty EEPROM. I gave them my EEPROM, they erased it fully (I guess..) and loaded the 1.009 BIOS into the EEPROM. Went home, installed it , booted successfully.

Rather funny tho , that a company like ASUS sometimes don't know wtf they are doing.. I mean, how smart is it to release a BIOS, that is even non beta (1011 version) and it doesn't work properly..

10. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    the 166 is just in case a board does not support DDR400 it goes back and uses the spd data for 333

as for dual channel socket 754 itself will not support it nor will the cpu/mobo the socket is just not set up to use dual channel

11. True, but the BIOS (both 1011 and the Beta) did same thing over and over again except for the memory thing: It made my system from 2Ghz to 800Mhz. Even if I did the settings manually it changed it back somehow. And I know it wasn't the battery, I changed it just a year ago..

What I do know now is : 1. Do -NOT- use the ASUS update. 2.You can easily update the BIOS by renaming the latest *.rom to "K8NE.rom" and put it on a disk. 3.The backup for the original BIOS is always on the CD. I learn something new everyday.....