1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Question Regarding Defragging

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Flava0ne, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Flava0ne

Flava0ne

Thanks Received:
    I just got a WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD and I'm planning on using it strictly for backing up my files and documents. I'm not going to be putting it in a USB External Enclosure, but instead connecting it directly to one of my motherboard's available SATA II ports. Since I have my main OS in my RAID 0 array, would it be a good idea to even defrag my back up drive? Because I've never really found the reason to in previous back up drives that I've had. The speed was always steadily good im my experience. But any other input would be appreciated. :)

2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If the drive will be used for reading data almost exclusively and you will not be deleting (and replacing) much from it, then only an occasional defrag will be needed.

I would check it once every couple of months, as that is a good HD maintenance practice to get into doing.

3. Flava0ne

Flava0ne

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, once every couple of months would be a good idea for the backup drive.

Because I'm really anal about my main OS drive and defrag it daily LOL but because I do it daily, it takes no longer than 5 minutes on my 1TB RAID 0 array.

4. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There is really no need to defrag your main array that often. Once a week should be more than sufficient.
    But if it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, then by all means, go for it. :laugh:

5. Flava0ne

Flava0ne

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: thanks anyways for your input! :)

6. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    If you're just piping data over to this drive and not deleting anything, the whole thing should be pretty much contiguous. Of course, there's no harm in running the defrag utility and analyzing the drive to see if it needs defragmented or not.

Crunching for Team TPU