1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Questions about buying a new PSU

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by MakeDeluxe, May 25, 2014.

1. MakeDeluxe

MakeDeluxe

Thanks Received:
    So, I've noticed some serious coil whine coming from my current psu (see specs) and I need to change it.
    Budget is $60 (although I live in the eurozone the prices are pretty much 1:1) and I want it to be as silent as possible. No need for modular cables.
    Edit: I'm not gonna SLI or overclock anything (except for GPU boost of course)

Q1: Would a 500W (or even a 450W) psu be enough for my rig?
    Q2: What is the best/most silent $60 psu?

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  2. LaytonJnr

LaytonJnr

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

Probably your best bet at this budget would be an XFX Pro 550W power supply for about ~$50. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

However, if you are able to spare some more money, the XFX TS 550W or Seasonic G-550 provide a greater 80+ Gold efficiency, for about ~$80, which will save you a few bucks on your electricity bills.

Layton

manofthem says thanks.
    Folding for Team TPU
  3. MakeDeluxe

MakeDeluxe

Thanks Received:
    They don't sell the Pro edition where I live but they do sell the Core edition. Are there any major differences?

Also, I noticed that it's built on a Seasonic platform, does that mean that its fan stops when under minimal load/temperatures?

4. LaytonJnr

LaytonJnr

Thanks Received:
    The official name is the XFX Pro Core Edition, which basically means its a fully wired power supply. There are also XXX and Black Editions of the XFX Pro, but they're more expensive.

Unfortunately that feature is only available on the higher end, more expensive Seasonic models, or the Corsair RM/CSM series. But you do get the amazing build and quality of a Seasonic power supply.

Layton

MakeDeluxe says thanks.
    Folding for Team TPU