1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Questions about file server build...

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by runnin17, Feb 21, 2010.

1. runnin17

runnin17 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Really thinking about upgrading my main rig around the time when the i7 930 comes out.

Current rig:
    Q6600 @3.2
    Asus P5Q-e
    6GB G. Skill Pi DDR2-1066
    2x ATI 4850's
    Dell Perc 5i raid card
    40GB Kingston V series SSD
    4x Hitachi 1TB HD in RAID5
    2x Samsung 1TB HD (not in RAID)
    old Seagate 250GB HD and old Hitachi 400GB server drive

I want to move all these hard drives to a file server and probably add some 2TB drives (most likely in RAID5). I am thinking about using my current rig as a file server (I have another case to throw all the stuff in when I upgrade), but I don't think I need all that power for a file server.

My main question is about which motherboard to choose? Doesn't really need be the latest and greatest, but it needs to be stable. The PC will be in my basement storage room so noise and space won't be an issue.

So this is what I want in a server:
    - at least 3 PCI-express slots (one for video card if necessary and the rest for RAID cards)
    - can be AMD or Intel (just needs to be fast enough to stream HD videos)
    - I have an extra full tower case, but I may want to eventually go to a rack mount (so if anyone has rec's on a rackmount case let me know)

Any suggestions???
  2. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't have something specific to suggest, but just get something that will support your socket and pcie cards. You dont need to overclock a file server. main thing you would want is something with gigabit NIC, gigabit ethernet and router so you can stream them videos quick.
    runnin17 says thanks.
  3. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
  4. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Well a file server for home use is usually built from spare parts and never will need much power. I say save as much money as possible if you are buying stuff for the file server.

If you are stream HD video over the Ethernet or wireless, then you do not need a video card at all, so I would get a board with a half decent IGP, say a Nvidia 8400 or ATI 3300. It just needs to show a display for setup and maintenance anyway. Just make sure it has an IGP and enough PCI slots for your needs.

Pure file server, needs no more than 1 GB RAM, and I would get a cheap Dual core processor just to ensure decent performance, though I don't think it would be needed.

To be honest, just use what you have for the file server like you plan and replacement whatever you need for your new i7 system with cost effective parts. Stock speed on everything, 400 W PSU, a decent $45 GPU, 1 GB of RAM (2 GB if you are using an OS like Windows 7 or something) and you will be more than fine.
    runnin17 says thanks.
  6. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Im sure it will be able to hold all sorts of files, and he wants to install a Linux based server OS on it. Funny thing is these ones he said are to good for what he wants :ohwell: