• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Questions about X800XL

Victory2004

Hi all, Ive spent the last few days researching online about the question I have but I wanted to ask what your opinions are. I searched this site but couldn't find anything relating to my exact card so i am going to post a new thread.

I just purchased the ATI brand X800XL from CompUSA and I want to experiment with it a little. I get major artifacting when trying to overclock to thishttp://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/x800xl/overclocking.htm I hear alot about the Arctic-Cooler fans and was wondering if this would be a big difference from the stock cooling fan? I also wanted to know about the heatsinks that are placed on the memory on the back of the card. I bought a package that included tin heatsinks that attached to the card via thermal tape. Is this a good way of heat dissapation for the memory? They didn't mention anything about any additional fans in the article I referenced above but I imagine it has something to do with heat. Also I have one of those Blowers that take up a PCI slot, do they actually do anything or are they a waste? I apologize for the long post but i just wanted you to have all the facts. Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

Chris P4 3.4, Intel D915pbl, 2048 DDR2(533), X800XL PCIE

singha

did you try to OC your card to 432/575mhz as the one in the review?
OC limit differs from every card. U need to check it out for yourself.
But i think it'll take at least more than 420/500.

Victory2004

Yes

Thanks for quick response. I did try to follow the specs on the article by clocking it to 432/575. I didnt know every card was different though so thanks for telling me that. If i get better cooling do you think i will be able to go a little higher. Right now I'm at 420/520.

Thanks again,
Chris

singha

If you do the Voltage Mod and improve vga cooling , you'll be able to go higher.

but voltage mod is kinda dangerous.

Use water cooling or better air coolers(such as silencer.. zalman etc) instead of stock cooler.

Victory2004

Thank You

Hey, I really appreciate your fast and helpful response. Im going to order silencer today. 1 final question...any idea where i can find info on this volt mod?

Chris

chuckied

cant you just increase the power on the card from the bios or am i wrong, i dont know alot about voltmods only that it increases the volts lol but anything would be helpful

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
no you cant change voltages by software/bios on ati cards

singha

if you are talking about the AGP VOLTAGE in CMOS, that wont work.
Will just damage your card.
Nvidia Cards can change Voltage by modifing the bios, but unfortunately ATi cards can't.