1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Questions Regarding HSFs and TIM

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chryonn, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    So i might be thinking my random POST and OS freezes are due to the HSF becoming separated from the CPU heatspreader. now when i say "separated" what i mean is that the HSF is twistable in its clamps. pulling it outwards away from the CPU there's no give. so my question is, is this what is causing an over-heat causing a freeze in Windows?

i'm using an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 HSF on an Intel QX6800. a couple of years ago i decided to lap both the CPU and the HSF copper base in an attempt to get it mirror smooth and efficiently transfer heat better. would the lapping have caused the gap that i'm experiencing when twisting the HSF, and would applying more TIM solve the problem?

2. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    If it's twistable, you might just have too much paste. To make things worse, you lapped both surfaces and the AC7's mounting system is already pretty crappy. Try applying a very thin layer with a credit card or something.

3. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    yeah, i was looking on YouTube on the Rev 2 and the mounting system is a massive improvement.
    i usually apply a thin layer with an old bank card (i keep one in the same kit as the TIM and the cleaners). but you could be right; in the past the HSF would be unmovable. so there's definite change going on. i'll keep it updated.