1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Questions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by WhiteLotus, Feb 22, 2008.

1. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    OK so I didn't really know where to post this so here goes:

1) I have a green pixel on my screen - its not dead because dead would equal black -yes? so if it's not dead it must be stuck or something - anyone know how i can get rid of it?

2) I recently got some DVD-R discs but when whenever I try to burn a file its gives an error or says that there is no disc in the drive. Is every disc dead or is my drive being a little annoying?

3) Ever since I got my 3850 my computer is so loud! Anyone got any ideas to minimize the noise without water cooling?

4) When using a Mac, how do you configure the Internet settings? My uncle has one, he can use the internet but he doesn't have a router, so you can guess what he's doing.

any useful replies will be appreciated.

2. Hawk1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    1) its a stuck pixel. See here for the differences, and links to some (possible) fixes.

2) It could be the DVD's themselves that dont work right with your burner. Try DVD+ or a different manufacturer.

3) You could try rivatuner or ATItool to adjust the fan speeds to your liking.

4) Sorry, no idea.

WhiteLotus says thanks.
  3. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    1.) Yup stuck pixel. You can try a program called JRScreen Fix. Also if you have Sisoft sandra and do the multimedia bench mark that draws the fractal on the screen these can fix it.

I have never tried the below only read about it.

There is also a method where you turn of the montior. Apply slight pressure to the screen area with the stuck pixel (use a screen cleaning rag, dont actually touch), and then power on the monitor while holding pressure.

2.) Not sure

3.) Upgrade stock cooling to a better cooler

4.) If you are doing a direct connect. http://www.more.net/technical/mac/osxdirect.html

WhiteLotus says thanks.
  4. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    try burning your disks at a lower speed takes longer but if the drive doesnt like the disks its normally more stable.

WhiteLotus says thanks.
  5. Sh00t1st

Sh00t1st New Member

Thanks Received:
    could be firmware problems, could be the dvd drive is screwing up, or just a batch of bad dvd's

WhiteLotus says thanks.
  6. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    ya some older drives get spastic about some disks so its probably doesnt like that speed so check the specs on it. i doubt you have to do anything other than use a higher speed or different format disk.

on the video card noise you can try replacing the cooler with something like the arctic cooling accelero which works great passively so there is no fan noise at all.

WhiteLotus says thanks.
  7. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    hey guys thanks for your comments, will try some ideas out that you have given

:)