1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quick car question

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by kwchang007, Sep 20, 2008.

1. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it a problem if a v6 gas engine sounds kinda like a diesel at idle? Like kinda rough and not really smooth, I mean it seems like its idling at 500-750 rpm...soo maybe that's why? Oh and btw its a mercury mystique.
  2. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Any check engine light? You might want to take it to a shop and have them read the data on the OBDII. Could be bad fuel, or bad timings, or bad spark plug, or bad knock sensor, or etc.
  3. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking timings off, OR, most likely a tank of poor fuel. If you're below a 1/2 tank, go rob a bank and put in some Mid or High grade. See if that helps......
  4. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol go rob a bank. Thats about what you need to do these days for any gas period.
  5. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I think erocker, wile e and Intel igent know shed loads about cars - hit a pm towards them. Doesn't sound healthy though that's for sure.
  6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it could be any of those things. It could also be worse, such as rocker arms, main bearings, etc. I'm sure you have a check engine light on?

* I suggest you find a different car. We don't call them Mercury Mistakes at the shop for nothing. :)
  7. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

:roll: OMG I gotta remember that one! Ha! That's a good as it's sister car, the Ford Tore-ass :laugh:

if the motor has just a low idle, especially if the car is 1996+, there are so many sensors on the motor that could cause such a condition it's not even funny . . . could be a fouled Intake Air Control valve/motor, could be a fouled Intake Air Temp sensor, a gummed-up Mass AirFlow sensor, fouled O2 sensors, etc.

but, if it makes ANY - and I do repeat ANY - kind of noise similar to how a diesel sounds at idle . . . that's mechanical failure of some sort, and I'd bet money it's probably a knocking sound (closest similar noise I can think of), which means a bearing is shot, typically a rod bearing.

What year model is it, and what type of 3.0 v6? Is it the DOHC DURATEC?

If it is a duratec, I'd bet good money #6 rod bearing is trashed. For some reason that cylinder on those motors is the first one to have issues.
  8. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you checked spark plugs and the plug wires? Distributor/Cap/coil, depending on what it is using?
  9. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    OMG I laughed so hard it hurt my cracked rib! Gee, thanks! :roll:
  10. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do not spend money on high grade gas. If the engine's compression ratio is less than 10:1 you will not benefit from high grade gas. In fact, it will probably make things worse because your engine may not burn all of the fuel (high grade gas needs a higher compression to burn). "Low" grade gas just burns at lower compression ratios that most engines have.

Take the car to a mechanic that knows about these engines. You probably will not be able to diagnose it well yourself.
  11. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, one) no check engine light. Two) it's the 2.5 L v6 Duratech, Three) By sounds like diesel it sounds like a little rough? Perhaps because it's idling around 600 rpm? So idle air control might be it...it also does the hum that most "mistakes" have. Also, I don't think it's knocking considering that it doesn't like slam hard at any particular time, just sounds like the idle is to slow? Like you can hear the cylinders going individually...maybe if i can find a digital recorder ill take a sample, but if it was knocking it'd be making bad noises when under hard acceleration also, right?
  12. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    one simple fix buy a new car that's not a ford or doge ...lol but ya it sounds like a censor what dose it do when u rev it up
  13. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol, well I'm 16 and just got my license, a new car is out of the options and insurance is already killing me, I can't afford to buy a car. It sounds fine when I rev it...exactly how I think it should anyways, it's really smooth sounding, no rough beats or anything.
  14. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    try your plugs and maybe some injector cleaner other then that it is probly one of the 50000 sensors on those cars
  15. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Makes sense to be the idle air control maybe, cause I know that's responsible for an annoying ass hum when it's cold (like air temp) and it's idling. We need to change that....you think that would cause this kind of like slow idling to go away also?
  16. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    if u have the cash and don't want to go dismantling half your car to get to them then take it to some one its that much simpler
  17. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    haha yeah, it'd defiantly be taken to a mechanic, I'm not going into my car...but how long would it take to change that sensor? It's something that needs to be done regardless. I just kinda need the car to get to school everyday.
  18. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    it could take 30 mins to hours maybe days it all depends on what it is
  19. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Aw damn. If the engine isn't knocking when it's rev'd then should I really worry about it? It's not like I really idle that long at any point in the day, and it's like if I run the a/c the revs stay up higher (I suppose to keep the condenser running?) at like 1000-1500 and it's fine then...it's such a picky car.
  20. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    i would get it checked though just to be sure
  21. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm makes sense. Since there's no check engine light it's pointless to go to like pep boys and get codes pulled right?
  22. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    No. Codes can still pop up even without the check engine light. You should be able to check the codes yourself too. You usually need to just check the ECU.
  23. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What year is the car?
  24. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Uhh we don't have a OBD II scanner (I think that's the right one...or maybe that's emissions). And it's a 2000 mercury mystique
  25. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    So, by diesel, you mean that it's knocking? If it's a rod knocking, then when you rev the engine up, it will start knocking faster. I am personally voting lifters. I got a 1999 Taurus with the 3.0L duratech, and it had two bad lifters, knocked like crazy at low engine speeds, then quieted out at higher speeds. Grab a can of seafoam and toss in the oil fill, then drive it around the block, see if it stops knocking.