1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quick Question

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by rich1051414, May 14, 2013.

1. rich1051414 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is just a quick firmware question.

I currently own a Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X(pre-overclocked), and I want to install a 6770 firmware to it, as I am receiving a free 6770 from a friend, so I can run in optimal crossfire, and not hybrid mode.

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...apphire&model=HD 6770&interface=&memSize=1024

Now stock, the 5770 Vapor-X has a gpu / mem clock of 860 / 1200, and there are quite a lot matching in the database already.

Can anyone confirm which should be the one to use, or should any of those work?

2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Don't do it. I can't emphasize this enough. You will render your card useless and could very well could completely brick your card. What you want to do will only kill your hardware, nothing more.

3. rich1051414 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is incorrect, but I do understand why you would think this. I have done all the research, and the 6770 bios does indeed work on a 5770, and does indeed get crossfire working at full speed. However, installing an incorrect bios could indeed brick it.

I also want to emphasize I am getting a 6770, and I will not use it with my current card unless I can get full crossfire running, therefore bricking will be of little consequence, however, I do want to make sure I get as much information, from those who do have experience with this specific flash, before I attempt it.

Both the 5770 and 6770 are Juniper cards, so I am fairly confident a full bricking will not happen as breaking the vga mode probably isn't going to happen.

Edit: I want to point out, while staying as humble as possible, that I am not in over my head here :p I do understand the ins and outs of firmware, and very much aware of the risks, which is the point of this thread, to attempt to avoid them :)

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  4. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Rich is correct, the 6770 is a rebrand, both Juniper cores. I found on Hexus that the only difference is:

That might create a problem if it's hardware based?

5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you'd need one that matches in every way - clock speeds, memory timings, and so on.

basically, while it may be possible unless someone has succesfully done it with YOUR card, no one can guarantee anything. its a crap shoot.

6. rich1051414 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I was hoping that someone had xD If no one comes back with a testimonial, I will post my own in my attempts to hopefully assure/discourage others.
    Well I dont use DisplayPort, and many people are doing this for the 1.4a support, which has been confirmed to work. So i guess the biggest worry i have out of these possible problems is breaking hardware acceleration in a couple of codecs... which also shouldn't matter if the real 6770 is the primary card.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    This is why I say that. Difference in memory ICs use different voltages and timings. You would need a 6770 bios with the same memory and vrm setup. I seriously think you may be hard pressed to find that, but I could be wrong. I just wouldn't take the chance in the first place to be honest.