1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quick ways to transfer large data files to another pc

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Grownman, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Grownman

Grownman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys before I go off to college I want to move all my music/videos on to my new laptop. I have about 20gb of music and a ton of videos to move. while there are many options to moving it I hear that moving files using the shared network is the fastest way? I have the option of loading of 4gb usb stick and copying it over and repeat or putting it on a external via usb however usb is always very slow. Could you guys recommend me some quick ways to move files from one pc to another?

2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    if u have a new lappy flip it over and remove the hard drive and see if it is a SATA drive,most likely it will be so just hook that up in your desktop pc and move all your stuff over to it? other than that wired network is the fastest i can think of

3. Grownman

Grownman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, I was thinking of going the route of the network transfer. I just have to make sure that both pc and laptop are on the same internet ip? I'm not sure how to move files using the network shared thing.

My pc is wired to the wireless router while the laptop is using the wireless, both are on same network and obviously can use a wire to the laptop if needed. Pc is using vista and laptop using xp. Do I just open up the shared folders thing?

4. twilyth Guest

I'd go with a small external drive - not because it's any faster but because in the process you would also be doing a complete backup. I hear too many stories of people getting their lappies ripped off or damaged to feel comfortable having all my good stuff just on a laptop.

As for speed, USB is 400mbs compared to most ethernet cards which are 100mbs. Of course you don't get 400mbs because the drives aren't capable of putting that out. But just set up the transfer and go to bed. By the morning it will be done.

5. twilyth Guest

I don't do this very often, but I think you just have to share the folders to be copied and then log in to the pc from the lappie and you should be able to see them. I did this last night with some video files. I have the same user id on both machines with the same password. I just logged in to the remote pc and all the shared files were visible. You can also right click the remote pc and take control of the desktop if you don't want to set sharing on a variety of folders. I think you can also get access that way.

If they're already on your network, you shouldn't need to worry about ip addresses and such. You might have to add a rule to your firewall though. That's something I can't really help with though.

6. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    USB speed sucks, direct drive, Gig or 100 LAN or firewire.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Doing it via network sharing is easy.

Just share the folders you want to copy, or just the root drive if you really want, and then browse the network for the desktop and copy the files from the network share. Make sure both computers have the same user account and password and are in the same workgroup though, otherwise it gets a little more complicated.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  8. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Either network or connecting the laptop drive to your PC as suggested above. With only 20GB of data the performance difference isn't that relevant.

9. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    osmosis just touch the laptop to the desktop for about 3 hours.

but in all seriousness id personally either do it through network sharing..or directly connecting the hdd.

10. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    I agree with a couple statements about transferring over the network. It is the fastest and easiest way to transfer.
    As Dan and Athlon said, you could also take the drive out and put it in your desktop and transfer that way as well.

11. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    removing the drive from the lappy might void warranty so through LAN overnight is best option

12. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    lan or internal GMV