1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quiet buzzing from PSU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by InhexSTER, Oct 22, 2009.

1. InhexSTER New Member

Thanks Received:
    So my problem is such:
    I had OCZ EliteXtreme 800W PSU for about 6 months and recently it stopped working. Instead of turning green, led at the back turn red.

For last month or two I have noticed some quiet buzzing sounds, i though that it was HDD. But tuns out that it was my PSU. Strange thing its making that buzzing noise even if unplugged from computer and just plugged into outlet. Even with switch in off position. so led is not lit.

Right now I have 650W Antec PSU and it also makes similar noises when computer works, but its a more quiet buzz then from previous one.

I tested both PSU with 2 motherboards and buzz sound is there. So is it something wrong with PSU's? Or is it outlet's fault (i tried different ones)

2. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    ok so to clarify the psu is broken... but if you take the broken psu and plug it into the wall socket (outside the pc), it buzzes?
    if thats the case....its broken and youre not gonna fix it.... and that buzzing is probably caps buzzing

is the buzzing a constant 50hz / 60hz buzz?... (depending on wshere you live the outlet in the wall will be 50/60hz and that buzz could well be the caps / vregs... or the socket isnt grounded properly)
    try another socket to see if that helps... preferably in another part of the house.... could be a ground loop problem though i doubt it to be honest... sounds like faulty hardware
    http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/

3. InhexSTER New Member

Thanks Received:
    1 PSU which is OCZ 800W is broken and Antec 650W is new one...I will have electrician look into the socket

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Get a good surge protector/line conditioner.

5. InhexSTER New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also I am getting new PSU from OCZ through RMA, is GameXtreme 850w good and reliable?

6. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    yes its perfectly fine for your pc and theres nothing wrong with OCZ's.... if you werent getting it through RMA and were buying it from a shop with cash id say go for a PCpower & Cooling, Corsair, Silverstone instead ;)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  7. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    yes they are good. I would accept that :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. InhexSTER New Member

Thanks Received:
    Apparently, I got my socket changed and buzzing is still there? Would surge protector with EMI/RFI noise filter help get rid of it?

9. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    possibly you could always try or just live with it if everything is running fine. also if you have a multimeter i recommend you check all rail on the PSU(12v 5v 3.3v)

Crunching for Team TPU