1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quiet CPU cooler?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by extr3me, Mar 18, 2009.

1. extr3me

extr3me New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

Recently I have bought Zalman CNPS9300AT CPU cooler. It says Ultra Quite....Yeah, right :). It has such annoying noise even when doing min 1000 RPM. You can go insane when being in silent room with this cooler. At thirst I though it was broken or something so I asked to replace it. After few days I got the other one (at least I think so) but nothing changed at all. Sound still remained horrible. I guess it's just the way it works. So I went back to my stock cooler (it is much quite) but I am not fully happy with it (has some issues too). Any quite coolers for my CPU??? I mean REALLY good and QUITE ones??? Thank You.

2. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I have a Scythe Katana II in my AMD system, I can't hear it's fan when that system is running and it keeps my x2 4200 nice and cool with it OC'ed from 2.1 to 2.8.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2303

This review actually says "If you've gone to the trouble of building a new media
    computer with High Definition HDMI output capabilities and 7.1 channel audio - you'd better well be demanding near silent CPU cooling along with it! Zalman's CNPS9300AT heatsink should fulfills that role well."

I mean I dont believe ever review but maybe you just got two bad ones. Are the fan blades balanced?

4. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
  5. extr3me

extr3me New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I think they are balanced, they should be cause they are new... How to check? When on max spin it sounds like motorcycle..

6. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    You would have to detach it from your mobo and set it on its side and see if you can turn down the rpm's pretty low. You will be able to see the blades wobble if they arent balanced. I had a friend who bought a similar cooler and we had to actually bend on of the blades and then it was pretty quite. We used a lighter to soften the plastic. Its the one and only time I have done it but it worked really well.

7. extr3me

extr3me New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I'll keep in mind....

8. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
  9. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    Kei says thanks.
  11. extr3me

extr3me New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well my stock cooler seems not bad but I have an issue with it. I am using AMD Athlon 64 x 2 6400+. Recently I've been monitoring my system with Everest and I noticed that my fan is spinning at low rates when on load (especially when playing games). For example when I play Dead space (puts GPU/CPU on max load) my CPU temp reaches 67 Celsius and fan spins at a rate about 3300 RPM although it is capable of doing 6000 RPM. Same thing happens when stressing with prime95 just the temperature gets higher (about 73 Celsius). AMD manual says that this CPU with stock cooler reaches max 63 Celsius. My PC case is old so I leave it open for better cooling. CPU fan just won’t bother to go faster until I close the case (in other words, until I make hotter inside my PC case). Any ideas?

12. CH@NO

CH@NO New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use the Cooler Master V8, runs pretty quietly and performs VERY nice, kee under 55C my e8200 at full load using 1.31v at 3.8GHz.

13. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    Go into the BIOS and set to manual fan control and leave at 100%. If it is too loud for you, I suggest going with a different fan. Noctua and Scythe have good cooling per noise stats. But if you want good cooling, it will be loud. There's no way around that.

14. Elijah86

Elijah86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would say a Thermalright HR-01 Plus. Depending on your CPU you can run it fanless. I Have a e6300 at 1.8Ghz and it stays nice and cool with just the fan on the back of the case for air flow.

15. extr3me

extr3me New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes there is :) My stock cooler is pretty good, but I don't know to make it run faster. It's a 3000 RPM fan but capable of running up to 6000 RPM. Manual says that temperature should not go over 63C with stock cooler but it does. I can only force it (RPM rising) by closing PC case lid but then fan reaches 5500-6000 RPM on max load and PC starts shaking (airflow in my case is very bad, I have to keep it open).

16. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    i googled a review, and the fan is rated for 1500-2400 rpm which sounds right http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2303

I did not see cfm, but i imagine its good. My fan http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26743&vpn=DFS123812-2000&manufacture=Scythe

loud but efficient. Well it's quiet compared to my vga fan.

17. extr3me

extr3me New Member

Thanks Received:
  18. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    the problem with those reviews is its all relative.

no matter what they "say" they are looking at it from a loud gaming computer full of fans point of comparison so its quiet compared to that but in a quiet room with a computer with only truely silent fans they are NOT quiet and you hear them over everything else. very very few things out there that claim to be quiet really are.

i use the arctic cooler 7 for mine and it is quiet but you still hear it. its a hell of a lot quieter than any other cpu/fan cooler combo out there.
    i find the only truely quiet coolers are those you take the fan off of and replace with your own choice if a really quiet fan. only buy coolers you can do this with.

19. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Xigmatek S1284EE and S1283 have silent fans.

20. extr3me

extr3me New Member

Thanks Received:
    So you people are saying that I can take off the fan from my Zalman CNPS9300AT heat sink and replace with the other, much quite one? Where could I find such and will it fit to this heat sink?

21. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    You need a 92mm one, which sucks cause they have less of them. I didn't see any on new egg under cpu fans. There's many case fans. But they have the squares around em, which your cooler doesnt seem will support.

22. extr3me

extr3me New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, bad Zalman cooler.. Could you suggest a good one for my PC?

23. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Kei says thanks.
  24. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    he needs 92mm. if you look at his zalman cooler, that won't go on.

I had that fan on my cooler. It's good, but my scythe is better... with more noise of course.

25. extr3me

extr3me New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I'll take a look if there is such in my country... Well I decided to end with Zalman, need to replace it with a new one. I tried to unscrew the fan from my zalman..... didn't succeed, it is tightly shut with very small screws, almost impossible to take off. I think I would damage it if I try harder..

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009