1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quiet, no noise 120mm fans.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Darren, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking of investing in quiet fans for my computer because currently my computer is a bit too noisy and as I tend to leave my computer on at night to download big files it's becoming disturbing and interfering with my sleep.

Currently my case consists of 1x120mm, 1x92mm, 1x80mm, freezer 64 CPU fan and a stock GPU fan which is the noisiest of them all. Most of the silent fans which I've researched are around 18 dBA level from experience would this be quiet enough for a study and sleep environment or should I be considering fans at around 7-10 dBA?

Also the Artic Cooling Accellero S1 Rev 2 VGA cooler is getting great reviews and I'm considering purchasing it to replace my current 9600 GT's stock cooling however I'm confused about how many fans it can support. I read that it can hold 2x120 mm fans but in all reviews I've seen they tend to only use 1x120mm, has anyone at TPU successfully put two 120mm on the Artic Cooling Accellero S1 Rev 2 without modifications?

Thank you, Darren

calvary1980 says thanks.
  2. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    invest in the GPU cooler first, and as for the case just use rubber washers. They do a great job of eliminating noise.

calvary1980 and Darren say thanks.
  3. Squirrely

Squirrely

Thanks Received:
    The thing is, one of the loudest parts of the system is the harddrive if you are striving for a quiet system, that is the biggest speedbump. Mine is very quiet, as I bought a new WD 320gb (WD3200AAKS B3 revision, it has one platter) which makes my system very quiet, but I can still tell its there. (I want a SSD, but can't afford it, lol)

With fans, I would mainly just look at the RPM, and the type of bearing they use. (you want to get a Fluid Dymamic or similar type, as those are silent) Fans in the real world can not really get quieter than the ambient noise. The claims of 7-10db are quiet fake, as trying to even get an ambient noise level lower than 15db I would say to measure it, is near impossible. Overall, I would say 15-20db is very acceptable for a fan. (As you would be unable to hear if its lower than that as the ambient noise would drone it out)

I personally have this fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129043 and it is unnoticeable with a fan controller (and still moves much more air than my old stock one and being quieter at the same time!)

But, I would get a better GPU cooler first. A vf900 would do well, as that is what I have on my 8600gts, and I can keep it at the lowest speed and it is still a very acceptable temp (50-53C). Or a S1 would do well too. If you want, you could get a fan controller as well, to turn down the fans while you are asleep/just doing basic things such as browsing the web.

4. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    You could get a fan controller which will basically silent them all, if you live in the UK I've got one in my for sale thread :D. If not, they're very cheap to buy and they look cool too.

However, you system is going to be as loud as you loudest fan so I suggest you get a quieter GPU cooler 1st.

5. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    2x 120mm fans will be ok man, I think my video card weight quite a bit and imagine how much a 9800gx2 weights on the pci bus and pci bracket of a case.

If you feel the need you can always jimmy up a support bar inside your case to help support one of the fans. you should try lower rpm fans I think. just dont get like a panaflow or some super high cfm fan lol.

6. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    The vf900 looks impressive however in the it's a bit more expensive than the Artic Cooling Accellero S1 Rev 2. Also the Artic Cooling Accellero S1 Rev 2 allows for passive which is an extra bonus (although I'll most probably run 2x120mm). Indeed I share the same lust for a SSD but they are still extremely expensive per GB. Also your AeroCool SilverLightning120mm runs @ 26 dBA would you say it is quiet enough for you to sleep with it on full speed?

Great idea, I'll definitely try the rubber washer tip.

Thanks I'm doing some researching fan controller bays do you recommend a particular brand, should I look for a particular feature? e.g. LCD screen, does it matter how many pin inputs it supports?

calvary1980 says thanks.
  7. LiNKiN

LiNKiN Staff

Thanks Received:
    calvary1980 says: "You can use cable ties to mount 2x 120mm on the Accelero S1 if you don't want to buy the turbo module like this http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3135/1002034do8.jpg also look into Yate Loon fans they are cheap and very quiet you can get them at petrastech. Fan controller will undervolt fans, get a Sunbeam Rheobus. -Christine"

calvary1980 says thanks.
  8. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why does it need to be tied down? in the picture there is plenty of room on the heatsink for the two fans.

Edit:

I'm replacing all the fans in the case, the GPU fan and buying a controller. I'm covering all bases.

Edit 2:
    It's a Casecom LG-178 Black/Silver Gaming Case

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  9. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    It's always the loudest fan that you hear. If you take the case fans away and put silent ones in, your problem will not be solved as the loud gpu fan is still there. You're only taking one sound away, not dealing with the true problem.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    "christine says the fans will fall off your card, remember it's upside down in the case, you don't necessairly need new case fans the fan controller will undervolt them slowing there speed and noise, what case do you have?" - Calvary

11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you need to tie the fans because theres no stock mount for them. The S1 is a great cooler (see my specs for what my 8800GT can do on one)

My reccomendation for quiet fans is nexus orange fans, undervolted to 7V with an adaptor. They're inaudible, while still moving an ok amount of air (enough for case fans, but maybe not enough for a CPU etc)

what hat said is correct too: you need to start with the loudest noise and work your way from there.

[​IMG]

^ thats an accelero S1 with two 92mm nexus fans (at 10v) blowing on it (indirectly, they're my case intakes). At 650 core, that card used to load at 80-90C, now it loads under 45C (F@H isnt fully loading it)

12. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    christine says "it would of been nice if we were informed you lived in the UK please update your profile. there is no sense in changing the case fans the mounts can only support 1 size fans unless you want to buy multiple brands in different sizes which isn't recommended. I checked ebuyer and overclockers and the Turbo Module (addon for Accelero S1) http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-007-AR is actually cheaper than buying 2x Scythe Fans at the same speed not to mention the Turbo Module is quieter 49 CFM 20 dBA and has a mounting kit. you won't need a controller as you can control the speed of the Turbo Module through your BIOS. - Christine"

13. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Arctic Cooling AC-STM Turbo Fan Module is an attractive offer and it actually does work out cheaper than buying two separate GPU fans.

PS. does the Arctic Cooling AC-STM Turbo Fan Module cone equiped with 2x80mm or 2x120mm ?

Edit:

In terms of performance, would I be better off going for 2x80mm from the Arctic Cooling AC-STM Turbo Fan Module or 1x120mm such as http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=608229

Unfortunately I can not get hold of those in the UK:ohwell:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  14. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    2x80mm.;)

15. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    I agree that the GPU Fan needs to be changed and...

If you're looking for a truly silent system w/o losing cooling capacity then I'd pick up at least one Scythe 40cfm 120mm Slipstream. Take a look at it here....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185057

You can completely believe the claim that it's ~10dBA as I own one and it's simply the best money I've spent on my case...ever. I'm still shocked at how quiet the fan is, the first day I got it (along with the 110cfm model) I plugged the fan into a molex connector and disconnected the rest of the fans in the case just to do a sound test. When I turned the fan on...nothing...let me clarify. It was indeed spinning, but there was ABSOLUTELY no noise whatsoever. You can barely feel it running while holding it in your hand. I (very carefully) placed the fan next to my ear and still...nothing. The air flowing from the fan is fantastic (remember it's 40cfm so make sure that will fit your needs) and the noise is just non existent period!

This fan has made me redesign my case around it as I've just finished my design for the case which includes at least 3 more of those wonderful fans. I'm using the 110cfm model on my cpu cooler right now (Xigmatek HDT-S1283) though it's only silent right now spinning at 624rpm which makes even less 'noise' than the 40cfm model (800rpm fan). This fan will go back in the box and be used for testing purposes only which is why I bought it. Another 40cfm model will take it's place on the cooler.

I'm also thinking of replacing my gpu cooler (4850) as while it's not loud I can actually hear my system now since I've put it in the case. Prior to that I had dual 3870's in the case and was still unable to hear my system...it was THAT quiet.

Long story short, buy the fan :D

K

Btw, it might not be a bad idea to put one or two of them on your new gpu cooler. ;)

calvary1980 says thanks.
  16. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks everyone I've just put the order through and at the moment I've got the following:

Hiyatek Black Multi Fan Controller http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136404

92mm Akasa Amber Case Fan, 3 Pin, 2 Ball Bearing, Ultra Quiet and Long Life http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=268277

2x120mm AKASA AK-191SM near Silent smokey grey value case fan http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=608229

Arctic Cooling Accelero AC-S1 rev 2 http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=627848

Red Wing 80mm Quiet Fan http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/80mmfans/x-rw-80r

Thanks everyone yet again.

17. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    I just bought myself one of those fan controllers and they're excellent. Pretty much a clone of the Sumbeam Rheobus extreme but 1/3 of the price :D The S1 is also an excellent cooler, I think you should have got it all from ebuyer though to save ££££ in P+P.

Darren says thanks.
  18. Squirrely

Squirrely

Thanks Received:
    If I plug it in directly, I can hear it just barely (because my harddrive is quieter than it so you can hear it.). I have a fan controller on it currently, so I turn it down to silent, and it moves a lot more air than the stock case fan. I would get a fan controller if you wish to, as those give you the option to turn down your fans speed while the computer is idling and downloading stuff at night.

But, as the others say, I would start first with the GPU cooler, as your system will always be as loud as the loudest part.

19. jammy86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought coolermaster 4pin PWM fan for my CPU and its pretty darn silent, I was impressed. I assume their other 3pin ones are the same. I use speed fan to control mine.

JAmes.

20. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm still waiting for the delivery of the Arctic Cooler Accelero S1 Rev. 2 however I'm getting concerned that it might block my PCI slots. My motherbord has three slots one of which is occupied with my soundcard.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  21. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the cooler on its own will block one slot (at least, very close to it. i can fit a soundcard next to mine in my lan rig)

fans and fan modules may prove more of a problem, which is solveable by just attaching a fan wherever it fits. it doesnt need to be directly over the GPU as its a giant heatsink. If you got the turbo module, you may be screwed however (Which is partly why i never reccomend it)

Darren says thanks.
  22. P4-630

P4-630

Thanks Received:
    Just don't buy "cooler master blue led silent fan 120si3" (4 blue led 1200 rpm silent 19db)

They are NOT silent unless you control them to spin under 900rpm, but then they won't move much air and you'll be better of looking for some other fans.

I find the Lian-Li 120mm ball bearring fans very silent at 1000-1100 rpm.

Darren says thanks.