1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quitting smoking

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by imperialreign, Sep 13, 2007.

1. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, starting tomorrow, I'll be quitting smoking. Just plain tired of it, honestly. That, and I realized I waste WAAAYYY too much money that could be better spent; for example, I've decided that the money I usually spend on smokes for the week, I'm going to put aside for my next big upgrade for my rig. I typically spend about $70 a week (I buy by the pack), and I figure that by the end of next Jan, just before my birthday, I'll be able to afford this bad-ass:

<insert wicked laugh here>

4 months - Mwa Ha Ha Ha HAAAA!!!

DonInKansas and JC316 say thanks.
  2. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    You have my support. I personally HATE smoking (I don't smoke, I know ppl that do). It was a good choice to quit :)

imperialreign says thanks.
  3. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool man, good choice. You using any nicotine patches or just going cold turkey?

4. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:

:toast:
    agreed

5. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good luck....

I smoke, and have tried to quit many times and still have not succeeded

6. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    Good luck m8. My mother quit after smoking for 30 years :eek: She just got up one day and threw the filthy things in the bin and said "no more!"

You can do it! ;)

You should keep this thread going and update us on how you do :)

7. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    We're with you all the way dude :toast:.

I used to spend so much money on useless crap. Last year, I knew I needed $900 to get my drivers license. I started penny pinching, I started doing chores/small jobs, and now...I'm a licensed driver in the state of MA :D.

And I found out just how fast my dad's Kia Rio can go, how fast it can accelerate, and how awesome the brakes are... ;).

Edit: Let the sticky remind you of your commitment :toast:.

8. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Congrats for taking a big step in your life! We all support you 100%

9. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Great choice man. Saving your health and getting a BAD ASS rig in the process.

10. LonGun

LonGun New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know especially when you're on the road driving. got nothing to do in the car besides driving. My brain was like "cigie cigie" lol. I'm going to quit when I get married. For SURE! I SWEAR!

11. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Both my parents smoke, and of course I don't, and all it does is drag the whole family down. My parents still owe me $200 from so many years ago, and the whole appartment and everything in it, including myself, smell like cigarettes, reducing my chances with all those ladies out there, and in general making me smell bad. On top of that they are destroying not only thier own health but mine. If they didn't smoke I would have my $200 back a long time ago.

So yes, by all means quit smoking and make it better for you and everyone around you

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    partly my problem - I've never really been addicted to the nicotine - it's just the habit - something to do behind the wheel, something to do when the shop is slow, etc. I've gone a couple of days before without one, and never had any urge, but, boredom causes those little devil workers to start screaming at ya.

Honestly, I shoulda quit years ago . . . especially after going through cancer (not related to smoking, BTW) and all . . . THAT was more stupid of me than ever having started.

But, like I said, not addicted to the nicotine, so I'm not using gum, patches, hypnosis CD's, VooDoo, contract with tha deval or nuthin - just not buying anymore. Gonna keep my eyes on that goal of that little black box no bigger than a good sized dictionary :D Hopefully, with any luck, by the beginning of next Feb, Intel will have their new, full-blown 45nm Quad-core line on the market at about the price of the current C2D quad-core Extremes.

13. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    i personally hate the smoke but recently in england they banned smoking in pubs and clubs - now it stinks! bring back the smoke!

hope you succede though i work in a convience shop and some people are really foul. one guy - phill-joe, smokes 30 mayfair super kings and 25 grams of golden virgina tabacco a DAY! this guy doesnt eat he just smokes!

good luck in your quest!

oh and my gran gave up smoking at 65 after starting at 14, if she can do it anyone can.

14. Basard

Basard

Thanks Received:
    grow your own tobacco....

15. xylomn

xylomn New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't stand smoke, personally i'm glad they banned it in pubs/clubs here in the uk coz my brother can actually go out now (he has severe asthma :( ), sick and tired of having to rush him to hospitals because of inconsiderate smokers.

You got my support mate, takes a lot to stop smoking, I have respect for people who are willing to put the effort in :)

16. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Great desicion, hope you build an awesome rig! :rockout:

17. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:

Out of curiousity... how old are you and how long have you been smoking?

Also, how much do you smoke a day?

Sorry for all the questions, you'd think I was selling you life insurance!

lol

18. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    s'all good, man

I'm 25 and been smoking for 12 years - y'know how the teenage years go . . .

I typically smoke about 2 packs a day - it really depends on just how busy we are in the shop. If we're slammed booked up - maybe 1 pack/day. But if we're dead as crap - I've gone through 3 packs before.

Also depends on how much driving around I do - tends to me more of a factor on the weekend when I'm off from work.

Thanks for the support so far, y'all - it's truly appreciated!

19. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:

You dont think that you are addicted now?

20. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    you tried chewing gum or something :p it helps pass the time.. also when I quit smoking pot, I occasionally smoked cigars knowing that your not supposed to inhale cigar smoke (donno if that willl help cigarette smokers though..). yeah GL man, smoking is *poop* get into healthy things like joining the gym elc it will help you in making you want to stay healthier.. and your saving lots of $$$ in the process. Im still a health freak but I spoil myself alot now lol..

well good luck man, if you really want to "better" yourself (save $$$ and health) take up other hobbies with the money you save such as mountain biking elc.. it will pay when you get older and into retirment. :rockout:

21. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    to the habit - yes, without a doubt - it's something to do, especially when there is nothing to do

but, as far as the nicotine goes - no. I've had to go long amounts of time before without one - sometimes 8hrs, sometimes a day or two - it never bothered me. I don't start fiending for a smoke like most do (nicotine cravings), I just get that feeling like "I wouldn't mind a smoke right now," not that "I GOTTA HAVE ONE!"

hard to describe, I guess, at least to people who haven't smoked before; I've honestly never been addicted to any drugs that I've ever done, I guess that's a good thing for me - BTW, if any y'all don't smoke, don't start! I'll have to round up my crew and lay down the smack down if you do!

22. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    He can supplement nicotine. The power of the mind man.. I wanted to quit smoking weed/being a huge pothead because it was getting me nowhere in life.. not even making it to my nexted paycheck kinda thing + really bad memory.. today my memory is quite good a hell of alot better and I have more energy; not that I didnt have much energy back than but weed makes you, blah..

23. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    been ther before, too - back in high school. It was more or less just teenage stupidity on my part, along with all the other drugs I did back then. I ended up in the ER one day, thanks to pot (laced with crack - which I didn't know at the time), and I've been allergic to it ever since. I've seen a lot of my friends from that time just end up in the shitter, though . . .

but, I hear it on that power of the mind deal - I'm 25% Lithuanian, and that Lithuanian pride, stubborness and will power tend to run in the family. Once I make up my mind of what I'm going to do, I don't back down.

24. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    I smoked Lucky Strikes (yeah, the filterless toasted ones) for about 12 years, 2 packs/day.

Quit cold turkey almost exactly 7 years ago, just before my 1st daughter was born.

My method for quitting was simple: I just didn't BUY them. It was tough at first - passing by a smokeshop w/ a big Lucky Strike sign out front (no joke!) was tough at first, but I just stopped buying them from the store, and soon after I didn't even think about it anymore.

Of course when I started, smokes were $1.50/pk. so money wasn't really the issue, but GODDAMN they are stupid expensive now, esp. in Connecticut!

25. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    and here in VA, prob cause of how much tobacco is in the state, our prices are still fairly low - $4.19 after tax for a pack of Marlboro Red 100's.

But still, that's almost $5 a pack, and then 2x-3x a day is quite a bit, really. At least I can support a hobby by giving all that money to Intel instead of Philip Morris.