1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quitting smoking

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by imperialreign, Sep 13, 2007.

1. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I successfully qiut chewing tobacco after 16 years of doing so. I did chew gum for about a week ,sorta helped. Just be prepared for the shitty week that is on its way. After about 2 weeks sober I was the most irritable pr**k on the planet. Lastd about a week ,then I was back to my old self again. Congrats and GOOD LUCK.

imperialreign says thanks.
  2. tong

tong

Thanks Received:
    I quit , and have been quit for about 3 to 4 months now. I used that new prescription pill Chantix to help me out. Was a 3 pack a day at my worste, down to 1 pack for a few years now.

Got about 8 guys at work that quit on the stuff, two of them are 35+ years smokers, one is a 40+ year smoker. One of those guys has and hasn't quit, he has one a week, he says he still has the cravings (me tooo oh god this is making me want one), but that his 1 a week is helping him out and he's recently been noticing that he'll go 1.5 to 2 weeks before having that one smoke.

The trick with the pill is that you must want to quit, have the will power to quit, but omg it makes it sooooo much easier.

3. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    chew the nic gum with Ice Breaker gum .. worked for me

4. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    I smoked flat out (pack a day) for 10 years man... Then on our holiday 3 years ago I just chucked em in the bin at the airport on the way home and haven't touched another one since (well ciggies anyways... :wink: ). I think if you really want to quit you can without the help of any patches or gum etc... I reckon those things just draw the cravings out and make it take longer to get over it..

I was shitty for a weeek or so but now I feel friggin awesome!!! Everytime I see some dude puffin away I just take a deep breath into my new, better, faster lungs and smile...... :)

Good luck bro, you will feel great in a couple of months...

5. LonGun

LonGun New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good lord! 2 packs a day. Anyone did 3 packs aday? I've beening smoking for 8 years. Now I'm 24. The funny thing is that when I'm at home, I don't even think of cig. I'm addicted in using my computer much more than smoking lol. But then when I'm on the road, mall, beach, billards, etc. then I can't forget about it. There's a time when I was going out with this girl in high school. She didn't smoke, then forbid me to smoke and put my (_|_) on check. I quit for like 2 weeks without even touch one since she could smell it. Then for a dumb reason, we broke up, I started smoking again. 'Til the day I got married I guess.

6. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Well... whatever the fuck all these other people are saying, I say just do it - be an ispiration for all tar sucking babies.

7. HAL7000

HAL7000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    imperialreign...................

Way to go,,,,my parents smoked, my dad died of lung cancer (smoking related) and mom of brain cancer (not related to smoking)
    Smoking is a bad and terrible thing to do and to stop. I wish you the best and hope that when the temptation is there to smoke, you get busy doing something to distract your desire for the cig. Whatever you do, don't replace one bad habit with another. This is a good post you started. You have your whole life ahead of you and you don't need something that shortens your days here.

You need to have someone close to you that you can talk to when the desire gets rough, but they way your going about it is right, quit because you want to, you will be successful this way. I am in VA as well and cigs are real cheap in my neck of the woods, less than $3 a pack.
    My mother inlaw is dying of cancer from smoking, it is tough to watch it take its course. Seeing the effects of smoking can help. Visit a cancer ward and volunteer your time for a week or so, get to know those who need someones help through these tough times. You are young and can offer much in life, to yourself and others. I am proud of you for making this outward choice. Good luck.........:toast:

8. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here in FL you can get Marlboro Lights for 3.60 after tax.

Back home in Michigan its close to 5

9. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've already seen the effects of an oncology/radiation therapy department first hand - 5 years ago I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, went through 8 cycles of chemo, 14 radiation treatments, and then another 4 cycles of chemo 3 months after that.

I was going to quit smoking back then, after being diagnosed with cancer; but, then, I remember the docotor telling me months into my first rounds of treatment that chemo and radiation cause cancer later in life, usually about 20 years down the road. Being so out of touch with everything because of not only my personal life at the time (gf of 4 years broke up with me while in the middle of treatments, crap 'tween me and my parents), and working massive hours to keep my bills down (60+ hours of manual labor a week), and mostly of how much being a cancer patient really just confines you from others - I just said "F* it," and kept on puffin'

But still, y'all, the support here is amazing - undoubtedly appreciated! And for any others thinking of giving it up, you've got my support in that, too!

10. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    My dad has Non Hodgkins lymphoma. It really sucks, but there are things you can do to help. I would advise taking up eating apricot seeds and reading through this website http://home.bluegrass.net/~jclark/b17_dosage.htm

It has done wonders for my dad, he handles the chemo much better, and feels much better. He was in remission for 10 years, but he recently had a relapse. When they first diagnosed him, the tumors were EVERYWHERE and it was in stage 3, basicly 20% chance to live. He had been eating seeds for a few months before going to the doctor and after ONE chemo treatment, his tumors shrank 50%, by the third, they were gone.

I hope this helps you out.

11. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks! It's something to keep in mind should I ever go through it again. Currently, I've been in remission for 4 years. But, it sucks, cause in that time I haven't had any check-ups, or CAT scans or otherwise done. I just can't afford it out of my pocket. I can't afford health insurance being a civilian, either - and most companies don't want to cover me until it's been at least 6 years since my last treatment. Anthem was the only provider that offered me a rate, but they wanted me to pay $750/month with a one year, enrolled wait period (meaning, I'd have to enroll, pay $750/mth for a year, and wouldn't have any coverage or benefits until a year after enrollment) - plus, their deductibles were stoopid expensive.

Good 'ol USoA and our capitalistic health care system.

I had quite a rough time going through treatments, though - the doctors figured that seeing as how I was only 20 at the time, that I could handle much stronger chemo drugs than their older patients could.

12. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Even better. If you eat 6 a day, you can be guaranteed that it will never come back. Yeah, the health care sucks here. ROYALLY.

13. binormalkilla New Member

Thanks Received:
    One of the best decisions that I've ever made. You'll be really happy if you succeed.

14. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, it's been over 6 hours now since my last smoke, and all is well . . . been a little frustrated, though, but I think that has more to do with me trying to hunt down the cause of an elusive BSoD, ha!

WIN = can't live with it, can't live without it :laugh:

15. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Stop thinking about it. Chew cellery, carrot sticks or anything else that doesn't cause you to gain weight. Hold a short pencil in your hand. Or even hold a small carrot stick in your mouth. Anything to keep your mind off whats missing. Hang in there, go to bed early and sleep more. ALso, and this will help the most, DRINK lots of WATER. The faster you flush the nicotine from your body the quicker the cravings go away.

Keep it up your doing GREAT!!

:toast:

16. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Amen on the water. I quit after being a pack a dayer for 5 years 2 months ago. Chantix was awesomely helpful; made the cigs taste so bad I wanted to puke after a couple drags. The hand thing was worst for me; had to find something else to do instead of smoke when I had idle time. Keep it up, bub.......

17. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I've been smoking for 20years, off and on. I quit twice already. Once for a year, and once for a year and a half. Both times, I encountered a stressful point in my life, and something made me pick one up again, and both times, that's all it took.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you achiever your goal.

18. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last year I quit for 8 months, then my dad died. Now I'm back to a pack a day!
    IDK why the stress causes that, It sucks though.

:toast:

19. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, the first time, something happened with my daughter. The second time my Grandfather died, and I was in charge of all the arrangements.

20. JousteR

JousteR

Thanks Received:
    I stopped 2 years ago this month with no gum/patches...
    Daughter wouldnt come near me saying i smelt so......I gave up for her.
    Started feeling the benefits after about 7 months or so,now after 2 years i feel so healthy again..

So stick at it m8 it IS well worth it man..The only problem is that if anybody passes you after a ciggy u realise how much u did smell(sorry smokers but it's true i was one of em too)!

21. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Good Luck, Just think quit and build ya self a big ass rig.

It used to cost us some were around $100 a while back but in America you can build ya own cigs with a cig machine and tubs which are as good as.

All though quiting sounds good still to me but the cost is like $30 every 4-5 weeks now.

22. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    a bit off topic but here in Canada cigs cost $10 sometimes $12 a pack! :O reading trough this it must be to pay for thier health care when/if the smoker gets sick. it is all mostly ciggarette tax ofc.. this caused underground cigarette selling from the Indians since they dont pay taxes :p so people buy boxs of ciggarettes to resell them.. lots of $$ to be made! to bad its a federal charge if you get caught with just a "bag" of theses smokes now.

23. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I woke up this morning feeling a lot better than I usually do - prob had a lot to do with not having had any smoke before I went to bed last night. Just been feeling a little tired off and on today, though; keeping myself busy trying to sort out some issue with my x1950

24. little geek New Member

Thanks Received:
    gr8 stuff keep up the gd work, i remember when i gave up it felt like i had a new set of lungs:pimp:

25. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Go for it.

Smoking is nothing but suicide. You are making the right decision, and possibly saving your life, and others who are around you when you smoke.