1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

R&D: IBM's Racetrack Memory, Data Storage At Superfast DRAM Speeds

Discussion in 'News' started by qubit, Dec 7, 2011.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Racetrack memory, is a new type of magnetic memory that has magnetic domains "racing" along tiny nanometer sized wires, giving performance similar to conventional DRAM. Invented by IBM Fellow, Stuart Parkin, it has been in development since about 2004, with a working prototype having now been unveiled containing 256 "racetrack" cells, each containing a single wire. The technology works by sending very fast electric pulses down these wires, measured in nanoseconds, which transmit very fast moving magnetic domains which are then read by a magnetic head either as a one or a zero, depending on their direction. IBM said in a statement: "This breakthrough could lead to a new type of data-centric computing that allows massive amounts of stored information to be accessed in less than a billionth of a second."

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

IBM has an article on this technology and in it, they give a very clear and detailed explanation of how this technology works, so we'll let them explain:
    Makes today's expensive "cutting edge", low capacity, limited lifetime and above all, way slower Flash-based SSD's seem so yesterday, doesn't it? One can imagine Windows booting up near-instantaneously with one of these.

Sources: BBC, IBM
    cadaveca says thanks.
  2. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Thanks to repman244 for the tip. :toast:
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    they'll bloat windows more to slow it down so users have that 'traditional windows feel' :p
    HalfAHertz, de.das.dude and hellrazor say thanks.
  4. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    while i understand the sentiment, you want your OS to use the resources you provide it. otherwise, what's the point of having more and faster hardware?
    n-ster says thanks.
  5. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Is it sad that I wouldn't be surprised by this?
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  6. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    This is true, however I'd love to have a "Lite" mode and the the normal mode that is more bloated. To get into the Lite mode it would be nice to do something like Safe Mode where you just press F8 and choose Lite mode. That way you get the best of both worlds
    LifeOnMars says thanks.
  7. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    because vista was so much quicker than xp for all those additional resources it used??? Ye right.
  8. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    They should have a gaming mode similar to n-sters point. You click automated gaming mode and it shuts down all but the very bare essentials needed for a gaming session or offer a custom selection process for advanced users. Potentially cutting down on compatability issues.
    I've always felt that Microsoft need to tighten up the process as alot of PC gamers are clueless as to how much unwanted services/software can impact the gaming experience.
  9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    or just make it so programs have to list what services they use, so that windows can shut off unused/idle ones until 'woken'
  10. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    think of how slow vista would have been on older hardware.
  11. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    What did it do that XP couldn't? Apart from directx10 of course, but we all know that xp COULD run dx10 if M$ wanted it to.

OS/2 (a full 32 bit OS when microsoft could only offer win 3.11) or linux and ditching CRISC, the world would be a much better place
  12. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    im not going to argue that vista was an improvement over XP. my point is that you want your OS to use the system resources you provide it otherwise they go to waste.
  13. Jarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I see your point. But in my opinion the OS should be as lean and efficient with resources as possible so that real programs have as many resources as possible available. Although as tech is probably ahead of software now, that point is slightly irrelivent.
  14. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    i agree. it depends on how you approach it. with my linux systems for instance they are very lean yet use a lot of resources (especially memory) while under a light load because they are storing the unused resources in cache or running management programs in the backend. and if an application needs those resources the OS grants it without any hit in performance from the application's end.
  15. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    That's the main improvement Vista and 7 have over XP, on XP if you have 8 GB of ram, it doesn't use it, on Vista or 7 it will pre-load that ram with files it thinks you will use, it's the reason why my vista rig, although it takes longer to start up them my XP rig, will start most of the programs i use near instantly

EDIT: Just to prove a point Vista still loads and runs pretty well if i lower my processors down to 800MHZ, with Vista and 7 processors and graphics mean nothing, it's just RAM and storage speed, and luckily, RAM is dirt cheap
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
    Easy Rhino says thanks.
  16. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Most of the time people use their computer for simple stuff like web browsing, music, office etc. People usually also like to see nicer things with effects etc. Why are people comparing Vista to XP? Compare Windows 7 to XP. Windows 7 uses more resources, but it looks nicer, some people find it easier to use, it has a lot of features, you can properly use an SSD etc etc.

Do you not like that Windows 7 uses more resources to be better? Don't try to prove your point with the bad one that didn't succeed well.

There is of course a balance to be kept, but Windows 7 is fast enough while packing a lot more features then Windows XP
  17. qubit

Thanks Received:
    People, can we please attempt to get this thread back on topic? I recommend reading the two sources linked to, to help you better understand the technology and give you something to say about it.

The tech certainly looks promising and I think it's about time we had a breakthrough like this. Think, it has the capability to make for an instant suspend mode on PCs without using power. Currently, the RAM has to be left switched on to make this work.
  18. nemesis.ie

nemesis.ie

Thanks Received:
    Agreed - if they can get mainstream backing (e.g. JEDEC kind of support) this could be awesome.

If it could be made cheap/small enough you could use it like flash for drive-size storage at better than current RAM speeds (connections not withstanding). If there is only one kind of storage needed and massive amounts are produced for external storage use, the price should (in theory) drop.