1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

R.I.P. GTX460 [February 2011 - August 2014]

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Saidrex, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Saidrex

Saidrex

Thanks Received:
    Today died my precious GTX 460 (Gigabyte GV-N460OC2-1GI) while watching youtube video, suddenly everything hung and full screen of artifacts. After restart constant artifacts. Honestly i'm really surprised that it lasted only 3 years, i expected it to last indefinitely with good care or at least 5-6 years. Is this normal for graphics card like this to work only 3 years? Gigabyte advertised their Ultra Durable like crazy - "extended life span for graphics card, durable components, blah blah blah..."

While ago was thinking of getting GTX 760 from Gigabyte, but now i'm concerned if i should get from them. Little worried about short life span GTX460, don't want the same thing to happen with my new graphics card. Any good graphic card manufacturers i should keep my eye out when buying new graphics card?

2. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Before you give up on the GTX460 take off cooler and clean off all old thermal paste with 91% rubbing alcohol and reapply new paste.

Had to do this with my 2 cards. No problems since.

3. 64K

Thanks Received:
    If you do need a new card and you want to go Nvidia then I would suggest looking at some EVGA cards in your price range. I've had a very good experience with them for years. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Gigabyte cards though.

4. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    could be from the card itself, since gigabyte push the clock you may have bad chip that last only few years

5. Silas Woodruff

Silas Woodruff

Thanks Received:
    I dont know if it is normal for cards to last so less or maybe it was just bad luck, my first pc lasted for 5 years and other parts started failing before the gpu -Ram and PSU, most likely because dust acumulation and they lasted so much without proper care then I changed parts and it still works to this day altrough I sold it off cause I upgraded, my current pc is 5-6 years old and nothing failed with just dust cleaning.

I am guessing maybe it was bad luck or like in my case dust acumulation.

Currently waiting for nvidia to release big maxwell like 860-870 etc, guessing that will be 1-2 months(maybe more).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  6. Saidrex

Saidrex

Thanks Received:
    already did that, that was first thing i did after this disaster hapened.

i'm kind of "neat freak" when it comes to my PC. Once in 2 weeks cleaning the dust with brush and compressed air and once a years taking it all apart and cleaning, applying fresh oil to fans and changing thermal paste on CPU. Even bought soft brushes in art store :D Looks like it was just a bad luck, just in time when i was thinking about buying new graphics card :D

7. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i dont trust OC cards too much, i prefer buy stock or nearly stock cards with better cooler

8. Saidrex

Saidrex

Thanks Received:
    yeah. I don't like overclocking, but i hoped that factory overclocked cards at least have decent lifespan... Looks like i was wrong.

9. bubbleawsome

bubbleawsome

Thanks Received:
    I don't think the factory overclock would've done it. If you think about it any clock set by anyone is kind of an arbitrary value. Just sounds like bad luck to me.

10. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    You might want to complain to GB. Let them know exactly how old it is and that you are disappointed and are therefore considering other brands for your next purchase. No threats. Be nice. Maybe even let them know about this thread.

I dropped one of my Gigabyte GPU's and broke the fan shroud. They could not find a new one for me so they, at their expense, sent me a used one after clearing it with me.

I do, however, realize that I'm in the USA......

Naito says thanks.
  11. True Christian

True Christian

Thanks Received:
    It lasted as long as it was warrantied for. It's unfortunate but I, too, would stick with EVGA. I had 2 EVGA SC GTX 460 1GB SLI for 4 years and they are still going strong after I sold them for $100 for both to a guy in Minnesota. I now have 2 EVGA GTX 760 2GB SLI and I flashed them to the SC BIOS and the GDDR5 overclocks to a crazy 7600MHz from the default 6008MHz.

12. RealNeil

RealNeil

Thanks Received:
    EVGA and ASUS are both good brands.

13. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Overclocked GPUs are overclocked GPUs. Doesn't matter if its from the factory or not. It is still hard on the hardware. All they do from the factory is set the clocks higher via the BIOS.

14. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    Had a reference 8800GTS (G80 core) and a GTX570 Twin Frozr 2 OC die both after 2~3 years of use due to solder issues, and a ATI HD5770 with the grey screen of dead. All were MSI.

Fat PS3 also died due to solder issue.

Visiontek reference HD4870, Saphire Toxic HD5850, Saphire HD5830, EVGA GTS250 all work rock solid.

Let's hope my R9 280X last at least 2 years, hopefully a lot longer.

15. Lightbulbie

Lightbulbie

Thanks Received:
    I had my PNY GT 220 DDR2 1GB GPU for the same amount of time as you had your 460 and it still ran strong. Even though it was abused and overheated a lot. I trust PNY as a brand after seeing what that little guy put up with. It's now on vacation with a friend.

16. DayKnight

Thanks Received:
    In few years time, WELCOME the disposable GPU's.

17. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Fermi series chips where hot, i think the heat killed the card slowly, especially if you have a reference design cooler.

I want to hear also from GTX 480 owners if anybody still use the card since release without issues..

18. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Does baking still work these days?

19. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    In my experience only for a short time, i try it (heat gun) with my 8800GTS, worked "fine" for 4 months, fat PS3 lasted 3 or 4 months, GTX570 lasted 1.

I'm afraid we are already there, IMO big die chip + heat + lead free solder = dead card in a few years, that's why i settled with the 280X instead of the 290.

20. Misaki

Misaki

Thanks Received:
    You bought gigabyte - that's a problem. I sold mine Palit's GTX460, still working...

21. Naito

Naito

Thanks Received:
    With the way EVGA handled the Precision debacle, I'd recommend to boycott them and go MSI instead. Having said that, my GTX 670 which I've had for over 2 years now is still going fine and Gigabytes warranty (at lease locally) handling is good; normally just fix or replace without asking questions.

22. DayKnight

Thanks Received:
    Here we go. Propaganda machine is here.

Lightbulbie says thanks.
  23. Naito

Naito

Thanks Received:
    I understand that not everyone would share the same view, but you cannot deny something foul went down. The OP can buy what ever brand they see fit. I am no MSI fanboy and I haven't owned anything from them in the past, but they seem like a very high quality brand willing to put consumers first. I'd even recommend going another Gigabyte card; I've had Gigabyte graphic cards for the last few generations and they have never missed a beat (even my Fermi GTX 470 which I passed on to a friend is still going [has aftermarket cooler on it, however]). At the end of the day, for me at least, price plays probably the biggest part before brand; I'd go Palit/Galaxy reference boards and slap an aftermarket cooler on it, if the price is right.

24. Lightbulbie

Lightbulbie

Thanks Received:
    Owning an MSI card, I can say it's a very good card. I know that ASUS, Gigabyte, and PNY are also good. EVGA is also a very good brand when coming in about GPUs. To boycott a huge company would be dumb as the others would get full of themselves. As if one person is going to change how a company operates just because of an ordeal and someone doesn't like it. Have you used any other of their products like their boards or PSUs? If you had an issue with their GPUs then good for you. Boycotting is silly and gets no where.

25. Naito

Naito

Thanks Received:
    This statement seems very narrow-minded and naive. As always, it's a personal choice. I never said EVGA made poor quality products (and I have experienced firsthand how good they are), but other companies also make very high quality products (usually).

Then why would large companies have anti-theft mechanisms and policies if only the small minority of people actually steal? Why would agencies like the NSA employ metadata collection techniques to protect against terrorism when, again, only a very small percentage of people are 'terrorists' (perhaps an extreme/slight tangent, but still applicable)? Companies like EA seem to be trying to get their asses into gear after consumers voting with their wallets; games like NFS have been delayed to produce better products because prior ones stopped selling. Microsoft scrambled after Vista to regain public support and are now doing so with Windows 8. These are extreme examples, but do show how a minority can affect the larger party.

Sounds like something a juvenile would say. If everyone did nothing when something wrong went down, the world around would never change for better (or for worse).

As this thread is getting off topic, lets now try and refrain from personal opinions (at least not related to the topic at hand; as the OP did ask for opinions on brands). I'm finished with this thread.

EDIT: If EVGA offer the OP the best product, support, price and is doing right by them, by all means make the purchase.