1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

R U overclocking a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by keakar, Dec 17, 2009.

1. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    update:

ok i got it to load windows with theses settings

MIT SCREEN

cpu clock ratio - 8
    fine cpu clock - +0.0 (and also works at default 0.5)
    cpu freq = 400 x 8 = 3.2ghz (or 3.4 @ 0.5 clock)
    cpu host control - enabled
    cpu host frequency - 400mhz
    pci express frequency - 100mhz
    CIA2 - disabled
    Performance enhance = standard
    system mem multiplier - 2.0
    DRAM timing : auto
    system voltage control: manual
    ddr2 overvoltage (default = 1.8v) = +0.2
    cpu voltage control = 1.40v (wouldnt load windows with less than this setting)
    FSB overvoltage = +0.1v
    GMCH overvoltage = +0.1v

ADVANCED BIOS FEATURES SCREEN

no execute memory protect = disabled
    C1E = disabled
    TM2 = diasbled
    EIST = disabled

now the stock default settings run cpu temp of 40c but with the settings above im running 58c and when i tried running linX it instantly pegged over 70c+ and set off the temp alarm so i immediately shut it down

im running Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro cpu cooler in a well vented case with absolutely no case airflow or heat problems (it always stays room temp)
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  2. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:
    keakar says thanks.
  3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Great, you've got it to OC, but we're seeing that your Freezer Pro 7 isn't good enough to keep your CPU cool with it OC'ed. Either back tyour OC down so you stay below 70'c under load or buy a new CPU heatsink(this would be my recommendation for your 9550- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233012 )
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
    keakar says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    thanks for all the help guys :toast:

@ BarbaricSoul - yes it definately looks like i need much better cooling if im going to overclock it

@ choppy - i'm thinking somethings different with the revision 2 board because it doesnt want to act like yours and the only way i got it going was past the "safe" voltage limit so i think i better leave it stock and wait until i have a better board for overclocking, i havent heard any complaints about the 9550 so im pretty sure the stability trouble is from the board.
  5. jdsilver86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good job getting it to work. You may have set your voltage to 1.4, but it's actually probably within the limits of your CPU. For example, my CPU voltage is set to 1.512, but when I check CPU-Z, it's at 1.488.

Also... if I were you, I'd make sure my heatsink is properly seated, and check my temps during LinX at stock speeds.

That does seem pretty hot, but read what the creator of the best temp monitoring program around says about CPU temperature: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showpost.php?p=1635189&postcount=476. My CPU touches 70-73C after about 10 minutes running Prime95 small FFTs, but I don't worry about it.
    keakar says thanks.
  6. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    yep, i noticed its always lower than the actual setting you enter

my cpu is seated well and it runs 37c to 38c normal idle temps before the overclock

linX ran for literally just 2 seconds to show in the high 70's but alarms went off so to be honest i was busy turning it off quick and wasnt worried about checking just how high it got but im not comfortable running over 70c especially just for a modest overclock like what im trying to do.

to me its not worth shortening the lifespan of things just for such a small gain
  7. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:
    okay , wel at least we kinda got somewhere lol , maybe youve just got a bad board that doesnt like to OC ? anyway good luck in your hunt for a new mobo / cpu cooler !
    keakar says thanks.