1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

R600's secret weapon revealed

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by manson_ze, Apr 4, 2007.

1. manson_ze

manson_ze New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
    Hmm, interesting

3. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    w00t R600 Sound /PPU/GPU/CAD PU/HDMI/HD/Theatre/Stream Card!!!!!!!

4. flexy

Thanks Received:
    somehow this doesnt make sense..am i the only one thinking that ? I for sure wont get me an R600 because of its sound capabilities...and a DECENT Audigy 2 OEM etc. you can get for like $30

5. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    oooh more heat.... yay, I knew the new ati card wouldn't be hot enough by itself.. LOL

6. BXtreme

BXtreme New Member

Thanks Received:
    :wtf: the whole article is trying to say G8xxx sucks ?!? At most lines i.e
    I don't believe these types of articles where one says the other sucks :mad:
    imo, this feature maybe good, but doesn't look like a 'eye-catching' thing :\
    Also, they don't know what the 8900 series will hold :wtf:
    So, stop the R600 rumours plz....

7. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why would you want a sound card built into your graphics card... just get an external PCI card - if you can notice the difference between this and onboard, then you probably want something like an X-Fi anyway.

8. devguy

devguy

Thanks Received:
    Did you not read the article? Having both sound and video going through an HDCP compliant stream is sufficiently acceptable in Windows Vista. You're right, in XP it'd be pointless, but in Vista, it makes good sense.

Besides, are you fully aware of the status of Creative's Vista drivers? I have an Audigy and support is lousy, and the X-Fi isn't much better...

9. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Vista is the most piss poor excuse for an OS since winME. I wouldnt run Vista if I was PAID to. Combine this with the fact MS themselves have said their next iteration of Vista is likely ready to ship as early as 2008, the current Vista is practically already dead in the water heh.

10. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    But there are those out there that will start gagging on the figurative sausage for this thing.

I still like my SPDIF, and DVI separate thank you very much. And the fact that DRM is going to die, weather it be through the media manufacturers or through apps we make.

I still don't get HDMIs purpose other than to shove DRM down our throats, is is supposedly better than DVI?

10 Million points folded for TPU
  11. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    HDMI is DVI with the ability to pass audio over the same wire. It supports PCM streams as well as the new HD Audio formats and everything in between. Rather than 9 Video and Audio cables, you now have ONE. It's a big deal. So get off the DRM whiners bandwagon and read up on the standards before making assumptions. SPDIF has no bandwidth for anything but old and inferior audio standards.

12. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    This is actually an awesome thing. Im glad someone is saying R600 is better than GV8X. I mean, we all know all the Nvidia fanbois have been crying about Nvidia being the first with DX10 cards out (we all know it, its on these boards plenty). However, the fact that they have integrated sound is a neat feature. Sure, Nvidia may not be able to do it, but they concentrate on graphics. If a user wants to watch HDTV on their pc, its up to them to come up with it. Anywho, nifty little thing ATI has going on. Also, HDMI is a better picture than DVI. Couple that with the fact that it carries audio, and one cable for everything is alot better than the tangle mess of wires I got coming in an out of my dvd player, tv, receiver and xbox 360. The video codecs and sound codecs with the HDMI is lossless and excellent. I can tell a huge difference over DVI and Component.

13. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Now, if they can just integrate a motherboard into that video card...... hmmm.

14. unsmart

unsmart New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it's true, I think it will most likely be an option like VIVO. Just can't see this being across the board standard for partners. I don't get why there not going the GPGPU route with it:confused: the code is already out. I suppose the audio rendering might slow the card down to much. Anyway, just hope they leave it up to OEMs on what audio chip they use:)

15. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the whole sound thingy is about adding HDMI with audio to the board. also it is a possible added benefit over nvidia's cards .. if the implementation is right

16. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Such as 7.1 96K?

Two cables. DVI and SPDIF Fiber optic.

And so far as DRM, it sucks, plain and simple. Everyone knows it.

17. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Or they can integrate audio directly into the VC. It may take a bit more real-estate on the card itself, but integration wise, would make it a try multi-media card, and not just a VC.

18. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    What does 7.1 96K have to do with anything? Fiber optic can't handle new audio standards, end of story.

So have you ever downloaded ANY piece of software, music without purchasing it? There's your answer as to why DRM exists. You're part of the reason. You honestly believe companies want to invest tons of money into implementing it , as well as dealing with all the issues? Stop complaining.

19. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    I admit to a lack of knowledge when it comes to most of this stuff, BUT...

DRM was developed because people were (and still are) STEALING.

Remeber Napster circa '98?

I listen to mp3's, have a library, and PAID for every track (usually by the CD). It's these thieves that RUINED it for everybody.

If you don't like DRM its probably your own damn fault it was invented (IMO)

20. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I think it's neat
    Check specs, I'm an nvidia owner

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  21. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/REALTEK/REALTEK-High-Definition-Audio-Driver-159.shtml
    All DACs and ADCs supports 44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rate
    * 16/20/24-bit S/PDIF-OUT supports 44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rate
    * 16/20/24-bit S/PDIF-IN supports 44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rate

Whoops.

SPDIF in and out.

damn.

So lets see.

HDMI = one cable with DRM.
    DVI + SPDIF = two cable and no DRM issues.

And for the record I have downloaded all my legal bound music from MSN music or other reputable sources. When friends mix stuff and record it it isn't DRM bound. I just get pissed when I try to play a DVD through my PC and as there is no DRM control offered on some outputs, and thus the DVD won't play, I have to ask who is responsible for the hassle when I have paid thousands of dollars to have nice things to play a goddamn movie or some music, but I cannot?

Well.

Fuck DRM.

22. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for those specs, you still have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. What does the sampling rates have to do with anything we are talking about. Congratulations, you are taking an audio source, sampling it, and outputting optical. YOU CAN NOT USE OPTICAL FOR ANY OF THE NEW AUDIO FORMATS. But if you are satisfied with poor quality audio from optical, more power to you.