1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

R9 270X Artifacting

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by ArbitraryAffection, Feb 26, 2014.

1. ArbitraryAffection

ArbitraryAffection

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

I posted a while back that I was having Power Supply buzzing issues, but that has been resolved, but I also mentioned I was having artifacting issues with my graphics card; a Radeon R9 270X. It is a Sapphire Dual-X.

It's gotten a lot worse since then, and the actual artifact itself is very consistent. So I thought I'd post it here and get some opinions on what could be causing it. I have managed to capture it in videos and screenshots.

Artifact in Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Artifact in Fallout: New Vegas

This one is very faint, almost impossible to see on the video because Youtube reduced to video quality for some reason. I have also included a link to Google Drive with the .wmv video; which displays the artifact far more clearly.

Artifact in Fallout: Battlefield 4

Video is here, however to see it properly, you might have to download the video and watch it locally.

I also have screenshots of the artifacts, one of which is on the desktop;

Screenshot 1, Lego Digital Designer
    Screenshot 2, desktop
    Screenshot 2, Warframe

I have also experienced the "Black Squares" artifact in PlanetSide 2, very similar to the ones in the Warframe screenshot above. However, many people have this problem with AMD cards as far as I have know.

I have had a similar flickering effect in both Unigine Heaven and Valley but I have not been able to capture it yet.

Also, I have some key points:

It is very sporadic and difficult to re-produce on demand.

The GPU is not overheating and is not overclocked above what the factory clocks are.

I am using the Catalyst 13.12 WHQL drivers.

I have a theory that the problem could be a very slight error in the GPU memory, or back-end of the GPU that causes only a small part of the screen to display incorrectly. Or it could be the drivers?

I will definitely wait until the next WHQL release of the drivers before considering an RMA, however the sporadic nature of the issue could be problematic when it is diagnosed.

I would really appreciate some opinions on what is causing this.

Thank you :)

2. Shocknugget New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to post in such an old thread - however I was wondering if this issue was ever fixed. My R9 270X displays these exact issues (not overheating, not overclocked and using latest drivers). Really curious as to whether or not I should just RMA the card.

Sorry again, and thanks.

3. Recca29

Thanks Received:
    I experienced some trouble with the 270X graphics card when i upgraded from a HD7770 to a 270X; But was fixed when i upgraded to a SSD and did a clean install of windows 7.

Shocknugget says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Shocknugget New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not sure why a reinstall of Windows 7 would fix this display issue, but I guess it couldn't hurt trying over the next few days sometime - thanks for the tip ;)

5. Recca29

Thanks Received:
    No idea why it worked for me. when i upgraded to a 270x i reinstalled the drivers.
    WCG and MilkyWay@home are usually running when i surf so i though that was causing a problem.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. ArbitraryAffection

ArbitraryAffection

Thanks Received:
    My 270X has issues. I've given it to a friend to test long-term, and he's getting all kinds of weird graphical glitching on his machine, too. Tested the card on several machines: Same thing. Gonna have to work out how to RMA the thing with the problem being so random. I suspect the GPU memory is faulty.

Hopefully your card is just having driver issues, though. RMA'ing a card with sporadic issues is such a PITA. <.<

7. Shocknugget New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been hoping it was only driver issues, the card is less than a month old and has only been in a PC for a week. I've done multiple clean driver reinstalls however the problem still occurs. The thought of waiting up to 8 weeks for the return of a "repaired" graphics card sounds horrible. -.-

8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    If you can hang out the cost of a replacement for a few weeks, Sapphire may cross ship. If it's less than 30 days, can you return to retailer?