1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

R9 270X FanSpeed

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Veron, May 10, 2014.

1. Veron New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a VTX3D R9 270X Boost (gpu 1080, ram 1400) and i would like to change in BIOS min fan speed to 10%

Already tried with MSI Afterburner BUT you have to apply settings every boot in Windows. But in OSX there is no app to do such thing.

So BIOS edit would be ideal, something like this:
    fanspeed.JPG

but before i start i get message:
    error.JPG

I dont know now if i can go with flash? in motherboard bios i have Legacy boot, but since i have dualboot with osx and GTP
    Capture.JPG

is there any problem with this?

Second think i would like to achive is a bit higher 2D clock, because even windows animation (login) is not smooth, sicer 2d clocks are GPU 300 and RAM 150

Any help would be nice

2. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Welcome to TPU

First Make backups of the original vbios image using GPU-Z;
    Example:
    Extract vga bios.jpg
    select File Folder next select save to file and give the image a name [keep a copy in a safe place]

Fan profile is most likely hard locked at bios level [*there is no vbios image in the TPU database at this time; thus am unable to check this]; lowering this beyond specifications *May cause the vga card to function in a way unintended by the manufacturer

Note: disabling UEFI effects Windows 8

Note: My understanding is that VBE7 is limited due to AMD Power Play digital signature requirements in 2d which is why the author of VBE7 left them alone.

"You cant set 2D / UVD clocks higher than the values stored in BIOS (these limitations are intentional, without these limits powerplay would go nuts...)"
    Source - here

atb

Law-II

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  3. Veron New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for aswer! Already made a copy of bios, but i'm not sure what will happen if i flash widt moded vbios with uefi?
    Currently i dont use uefi (legacy boot osx and win7).

So 2 question:
    1) will gpu work fine without UEFI?
    2) will i be able to get working UEFI if i refrash with original vbios?

Law-II says thanks.
  4. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Yes; if flashed correctly at a dos prompt

I do not know as I do not own a vga card with UEFI to see if this is possible.

atb

Law-II