1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

R9 290-290X owners thread

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by petedread, Oct 30, 2013.

1. 800GT New Member

Thanks Received:
    The history of the card :
    First day : flashing the bios with 290x several times with different roms, all failed. Returned to original rom.

Second day gaming.

Third day try to install water cooler which didn't work. Reassemble the card. Put it in uber mode before turning on. All these failure happened.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. 800GT New Member

Thanks Received:

Even tried with silent mode and uber mode both same results on atiflash.

3. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    I have a reference Sapphire R9 290 and I have not had any thermal or throttling issues of any kind. I leave the fan at around 50%-55% when just idling and watching movies or other media on my machine. Doesn't get above 50C atm. When I game I turn the fan up to about 68%-70% and the card never gets above 74C. This is even with a slight overclock on the core... bumped it up from 947Mhz --> 1000Mhz.

I had a gentleman at work the other day return a R9 290X because it was dropping frames in Battlefield 4..... I asked if the card was throttling.... he didn't know so I explained how the card was supposed to run and that with using the AMD Overdrive he could change the fan to allow it to cool the card. He told me when I spend $600 for a card it should just work......

While I respect his response, as a somewhat enthusiast, I was baffled that someone would drop $600 on a card and not research or read up on it......

That's like the folks that buy the $300 plus motherboards and don't overclock or anything... they just buy it to say they have it and bitch when it isn't plug and play......... I don't get some people...

Good to see some blocks on these cards, I am very pleased with mine. If I leave AA off in BF4 and just let the post processing AA on, I maintain about ~90FPS on ultra....

4. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I know what you mean but the argument that W1zzard uses for not overclocking with added voltage and running default fans profiles is exactly because of customers like that. Fact is, the 290X is not an enthusiast tinkering card. It's a bog standard cooler on a reference design card. I'd be more inclined to agree if he had bought a Lightning or Classified but even then, they will work very well out of the box.
    He bought the fastest card AMD make and he expected it to work properly out the box. It's not his fault it's been slightly poorly advertised.

And I mean that in a nice way - not a bitchy way. To even it up, the GTX 780 Lightning was also mis-sold by MSI/Nvidia. To make it work properly you needed to invalidate it's warranty with a BIOS flash.

5. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    My XFX R9-290 finally shipped. Took week longer than I thought. Glad I grabbed it when I did, the price shot up 10% since I placed my order.
    Looks like the waterblock I wanted will be out of stock for 4-6 weeks as well if the stores listing is accurate.

manofthem says thanks.
  6. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
  7. sulfur

Thanks Received:
    Christmas coming, thats why. :p
    After New Year it should drop to 500-520 (ref. coolers) and 540-580 non ref.

8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Bitcoin miners are buying them up.

HD64G and Solaris17 say thanks.
  9. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    Now that I'm water cooling, my temps are fine. Max of 70C is not so bad, but could be better. Working on that.

But what I find real troubling is VRM1 is reporting max of up to 83C after gaming a few rounds

VRM2 only goes up to about 60C. Not sure why this would be with water a block on the card.

10. The Mac

Thanks Received:
    VRMs always run hotter than the GPU.

Nature of the beast, they have to regulate everything.

on my 7970 dual-x they ran 95 or so.

PopcornMachine says thanks.
  11. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    Nothing to worry about really, as those temps vrm look better than air cooling anyway. My guess is that the vrm temps are higher only because your less extensive loop; your gpu temp is a little warmer than a more extensive loop so naturally the vrm temps will be higher also.
    Regardless, you're enjoying better temps, less noise, more awesome :toast:

@freeleacher: congrats on your purchase, it looks awesome! and welcome to TPU, fill in your system specs too to share the goodness ;)

freeleacher and PopcornMachine say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. PatoRodrigues

PatoRodrigues

Thanks Received:
    Still getting some random black screens. I'll RMA it today or tomorrow.

13. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:

Thanks for the videos. One was more than loud enough for me. This gives people an idea of what they are getting into with these cards.

If noise doesn't bother you then fine. If it does, get a water block or wait for 3rd party coolers.

Performance wise there is no complaint. I'm playing Crysis 3 on Very High (maximum), and not having any trouble with frame rates 40-60 at 1440p.

My single card best score on 3DMARK11 is just over 13000. Your result is very nice.

Congrats on the cards.

freeleacher says thanks.
  14. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I was setting the fan around 60% and it kept the card temp in the low 80s.

Will check radeonpro out. Looks interesting.

15. halninekay

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,

my R290 from XFX just arrived. I have an odd problem, thee cards fan is spinning with 47% all the time while I'm on the desktop. After I log onto in to my machine, the card starts turning up the speed of the fan.
    Installed latest beta drivers from AMD.

If you have any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm so stupid^^ I had a GTX 580 from EVGA before, and the precision X software was still installed....

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  16. Pixrazor

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  17. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Can't wait for the other non-ref cards to show up... :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    freeleacher and Pixrazor say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  19. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Anyone try aftermarket paste? like higher then A5? or lapping it? Apparently the stock copper block is pretty rough

20. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    I just picked up some MX-4 im out of all my good pastes, and apparently it still does well. I didnt really want to play with the liquid pastes yet. I will see how bad the block is and consider lapping it if the time comes but thats a small section idk if ill be able to get a block that small to put sandpaper ove. Pics of course.

21. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    ...what is up with the triple posting? I also assume you meant BF4?

Also, a 2 780ti's beat 2 290s in most* gaming tests last review I saw that covered it... That is until you get to 4K resolutions anyway, but who has those monitors now or in two years when they may be affordable for the masses? ;)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gtx_780_ti_sli_geforce_review,17.html

22. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    It's against forum rules to multi post as you are doing now. All you need to do is hit the "edit" option in your most recent post and add new text. It saves post spamming - which I am sure you're not doing and also helps prevent people from accumulating false post count ratings.

Hope this is helpful. :toast:

As for the 3GB memory - I can agree with that. My 1440p res on BF4 has seen between 2.5-2.8GB average memory usage.

23. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Oh it's clear you had plenty to say, LOL! And also what should be clear is I posted something meaningful immediately below it to which you responded to. Stop being so defensive, I was trying to help out (in my own special way, LOL!). As was mentioned it is against the rules here and forum etiquette in general is all. Move on... sorry I mentioned it... :)

I have never tested at that resolution. I am also at 2560x1440 and see similar amounts of ram use as 54th does (default Ultra settings, note). That said, the difference in pixel count between the two resolutions (~10%) doesn't seem to warrant a 50% increase in vRAM use. Do you have anything changed in your settings from Ultra default?

EDIT: Though, come to think of it BF3 showed vram scaling which was quite peculiar and I never got to the bottom of it. In that at 1080, 2GB cards would show 2.5GB and 3GB would show more at the same settings/maps etc, even those there was still vram available with the 2GB card. Were you seeing a lot of hitching with the 780 at that res?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  24. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    So, I'll bite........ what 'were you after'?

I have the 13.12 beta and it shows 13.11 as well (Im reviewing an AMD card ATM).

25. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    It was just pointed out to me that prices on the R9 290 have gone way up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709 600473877&IsNodeId=1

Early adoption is a gamble, but I feel real good paying $400. All are going for $500+. Some include BF4, but not worth an extra $130.

Kind of unfortunate really. AMD seems to be having trouble getting this card out there, and supply and demand is driving price up.

They have a goldmine on their hands if they can put it on the shelves. Hopefully things pick up when the 3rd party cards come out.