1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon 3780x2 Fan speed

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Edleen, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Edleen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello

If this has been debated much before and so on I am sorry but I did a search and didnt find an answer.

I have a Radeon 3780x2 with a total of 1 GB GDDR3 rams running in my computer, and for some reason, the fan dosent seem to change speeds when the card performs. In some games like Mirrors Edge, Need for Speed Undercover and Frontline Fuel of War I have no problems. But in Assasisn Creed for instance, my card seems to run very hot and eventually the game or the computer shuts down.

I have noticed that the speed of the fan dosent seem to change, and if I alter a profile within catalyst to just fix the fan speed at say 75% then no game will start up at all.

Is there any way to fix it so that the fan speed changes along with the temeprature of the card to keep it cool?
  2. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried just Rivatuner to set the fan speed. Rivatuner can be found here, http://www.guru3d.com/news/download--rivatuner-220-released/, and works very well with my 3870X2's. Also there is a bios fix for the Visiontek 3870X2 that I've used on both my HIS and Diamond without any issues that seems to fix the fan speed issue. The forum post is here, http://www.visiontek.com/forum/view...k=t&sd=a&sid=d6ec1131cfa2e103f1cb6033e271e2c2, and FOLLOW DIRECTIONS cause I'm not liable for any issues concured. If your not comfortable flashing the bios then I would highly suggest Rivatuner.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Edleen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am running A Vista 64bit and RivaTuner does not appear to be compatible with the 64 bit version.
  4. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I use Vista 64 and have no issues with it. I also have UAC turned off so maybe that affects it but I honestly have no issues with Rivatuner on x64.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    I also run Vista x64 bits with sp2 beta, no issues with riva tuner here. Also have UAC turned off..
  6. Edleen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi again

Well, I tried downloading RivaTuner again and now it works for some reason, at least it is easyer to adjust than editing the XML profile every time. I guess that in the fan settings page if I set it to auto, it should be adjusting the fan speed % according to the temperature with the "lookup entries" right?

So with that turned on, it should automatically change the fan speed when the temperature rises
  7. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
  8. Edleen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey

Thanks psyko12 I will see if it works now, :D
  9. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Yeah my HD3870X2 won't dynamically change Fan Speed either. I though it was cause of a BIOS flash though. Anyways just use Rivatuner and set it at 100% (If you don't mind the noise). I guess that was a global issue for the X2.
  10. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    No problem, if it looks weird maybe I should remake that guide, as it was long before rivatune 2.22. Anyway hope it works out for you.