1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon 4870 fan rattle - oil or grease?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by OnePostWonder, Nov 17, 2012.

1. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    I have a Radeon 4870 making a fan noise like this:

Radeon blower fan rattle

I've taken the fan completely apart and I'm at the stage of figuring what is best to do. I was able to take a cheap fan apart and figure out how these fans are part together. That was a case fan with a similar rattle, but putting oil down the shaft didn't do much to help it.

I'm able to lightly touch the middle of the fan while it's running, which has the effect of making the noise stop, if only for a moment. Also, turning the case sideways (fan laying horizontal) keeps the noise from happening.

While I'm thinking about it, be mindful of how your fan is put together. I was trying to follow this video:

Blower fan disassembly

On the case fan I practiced on, there was a little rubber cover over where the top of the shaft and plastic washer are. Well, being less-than-prudent, I just followed the guy in this video and got confused as to why my fan wasn't popping with the 3 screwdriver method.

DERP. The fan on my GPU had a rubber cover that allowed me access to the shaft and washer.

Anyway, what do I need to do now? Should I wipe down the shaft and surrounding areas with a lint-free cloth or just leave what's there on there?

Also, should I put in bearing grease or sewing machine oil?

Thanks in advance.

2. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Funny that you mention this problem. I JUST dealt t with the Same issue on my HD 6950. I used Oil for a proffesional Automotive painting gun , but any Clear light weight oil seems to do the trick , IN SMALL QUANTITIES. Also If by chance it is a Powercolor , I contacted Jonathan from their Customer Service , and He Shipped me a new Shroud free of charge, all I had to Do was ask. Try it with your manufacturer , maybe it will work.

P.S. #-1 oil also may do the trick.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
    OnePostWonder says thanks.
  3. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Seriously , Contact Sapphire. They Could be VERY helpful. Other than that 3-1, or Sewing machine oil.They Normally have TONS of Shrouds around from RMA's, and if your polite they will help.

and mine is NOT covered by Warranty.

I Really hope it Works out for you.

Best Regards

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  4. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    few years ago they were the fastest for support cases atleast for RMAs

5. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    Mine is from Visiontek.

At one point, I was going to contact them and see what they said. I might still do that.

For now though, I'd like to see what all I can accomplish.

6. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    For this I usually use sewing machine oil. Easy to get, as you can go to any sewing shop and get a 1 to 3 oz bottle for less than $3.

Of course like others have mentioned, contact Visiontek and see if they will ship you a new fan or cooler.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    Should I be wiping the old oil/grease off the shaft and surrounding parts before applying new oil?

8. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Yes wipe the old grease, it may be dirty. Personally, I use the oil from a set of hair clippers as it's very thin and I've always got lots of it here.

Happened to my GTX470 fan, but no amount of oiling could fix it I remember now, Twin Frozr fans are fully enclosed - you can't get them apart enough to get inside them. Contacting MSI didn't hold any luck for me unfortuantely and now my other fan is starting to die.

Question, to help validate a theory - do you use Auto fan speed or do you turn your fan speed up manually when you game? In my experience, turning speed up manually has always made fans get to this point quicker than ones that have been run on Auto.

9. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    I use 3 in 1 oil so sewing machine oil

10. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    You may be on to something. I was using RivaTuner to keep the fan at a quieter noise level.