1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon 9600XT oc trouble

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Mindrestx, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Mindrestx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys im having some trouble overclocking my vid card. Im currently using ati tool and the soft mod drivers from this site. I tried overclocking from 500/300 to 530/300 just 30mhz. I tried playing WoW and after a few minutes of playing the screen froze and the vpu recover kicked in. The weird thing is that using the overdrive option changes the speed from 500/300 to 527/300 so im not really changing the speed too much. But even when using the overdrive function it still gives me the vpu recover message after a few minutes one hour max. From what ive read the vpu kicks in when temperatures rise too much. The temperature on the card reads idle at 33c while playing i monitor the temp and it rises to about 40c maybe a bit more. I was thinking of going out and buying some ram sinks and a new heatsink and fan for my card. Maybe bios?

Whut do you guys think? I dont want to blow money away if its not gonna work :p

Thx for reading

My Pc isnt that great maybe its my cpu making it overheat...hmm

Amd 1ghz
    512 Ram pc133
    Ati Radeon 9600XT
    60Gb HD

Not very impressive :rolleyes: Runs WoW 1024x768 with medium settings smoothly. I just want to pump out evrything my card can give me hehe.

Mindrest :cool:

Tested Max core for about 15min just went up to 501/300 Temp went up to 47c sometimes 49c
    Maybe bad heatsink gpu bond?

Tested again :rolleyes: this time not so bad. Tested for two hours got me to: 518.40/332.10
    Ok i guess im thinking of buying the ram sinks and some silver5 throwing some on the gpu while im at it. :eek: Temp was at 45-48c Gonna test playing the game for about 30min.

Played 30min without any trouble.. YAY :D

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  2. kirunaboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    try too get beter cooling for example articcoler 3 + heatsink + pci-slot system fan + one more fan i have 4fan in my computer + articcoler 3 and heatsink and i can oc my radeon 9600 pro to 400mhz core and 380mhz memory

3. Ripsaw New Member

Thanks Received:
    My 9600XT (Sapphire) gets as hot at 58C and keeps on going, no lockups. Highest overclock it will take is about 540mhz. I've run it at overdrive speed of 525 (526.5) and it still hits around 58C but never locks up or gives any errors. Stock or OC'd, the temps under 3D load are about the same using stock cooling.

4. BigRedox New Member

Thanks Received:
    What I did to fix a similar 9600XT issue.

I have a BB ATI 9600XT RV360 128M Samsung E-die P/N 113-A03415-103 (the BIOS also says: V350AGP DGD1UN ATI RADEON 9600 PRO). I was having unusual VPU issues like you described, coupled with the overdrive tab disappearing. It would also act up when scrolling through web pages. I finally downloaded DriverCleaner3 at http://www.drivercleaner.net and followed the simple instructions to remove remnants of previous ATI drivers. After installing the latest Catalyst drivers everything worked fine. It idles at 30C, and when clocked at 550/330 while being tested with ATITool it approaches 50C. This is with the stock BB-ATI hs/fan and no ramsinks. Everything remains stable now.

Personally, I would do the following:

1. Run DriverCleaner and then install the latest normal drivers, nothing tweaked or modified.
    2. Scan for artifacts at the stock settings for awhile to make sure the heat behaves.
    3. If all is good so far, go through the normal routine with ATITool, but only up to about 550/330 at the most. I say that only because I destroyed a 9800PRO (Hynix vram) last year with ATITOOL.
    4. If you want to try for more speed, definitely get some good ramsinks and a good GPU cooler. After you're confident its fine then you can mess with different drivers, etc.

Its really unlikely that there is a huge problem with the hs/GPU interface. I did, however, pull my heatsink to record the core numbers and while there replaced the original thermal transfer solution with some Arctic Silver (dropped idle temp about 4C). From what I've read and experienced the brand of vram makes a big difference.

I've tested mine up to 574/335 with stock cooling and temp around 52C, only one pixel mismatch in 4 hours. Like you said, no reason to throw away money until you can keep it stable close to stock settings. Patience will pay off in the long run.

If you have to, you can even disable the VPU functionality until you get your card to behave a little better. Might be less aggravation that way.

5. whackamac New Member

Thanks Received:
    why dont you disable the vpu protection. that is whats locking you up. It is sensing readings it doesnt like and taking action.

oh... thats after you upgrade your cooling.

6. Niklas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Old Thread but still...
    I have Sapphire Radeon 9600Xt Atlantis running @ 552/348 mhz, no artifacts, no lookups and after running 3 repeats of 3dmark03, it has a temp of 42 celsius...your temprature is kinda scary, id defenatly go for some better cooling. :)

7. arachnoidzx2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Where to find good cooling for 9600XT?

I have the Saphire 9600XT. Where should I look to get a good GPU cooling upgrade and/or ramsinks?

Thanx.

8. mr.brikau New Member

Thanks Received:
    hahah i use this huge household fan to cool my damn computer,hey,it works

9. Niklas New Member

Thanks Received:
  10. Winterwind New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm, my club 3d r9600XT with def clocks 500/337 went without voltmod 580/420 without any artefacts..
    with vmod it could run 650/400mhz 24/7 with stock cooling(gpu temp @ 60C) :D
    only problem was that more i oc-d gpu more i had to lower mem...
    so i hoped 3dmark 01 WR but it never happen thanks to that mem oc decrease :(

11. arachnoidzx2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    VGA Silencer, Rev.3 -$17

Thanx for the link. I was able to find the "VGA Silencer, Rev.3" which looked even better than the other versions so I order that. I got it for $17 (free shipping) at aerocooler.com.

12. Kurgy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps i've the record overclocking my gecube 9600 xt, i get 575/344 without artifacts with atitool beta, i've a vga silencer and cupper heatsinks in memory.
    i get 13940 in 3dmark 2001 with omega drivers, i compare this in madonion web and i've the same score that 9800 pro jeje. i've an athlon xp 2400 220 fsb x 10.5

13. Winterwind New Member

Thanks Received: