1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon HD 5970 Offers Massive Overclocking Headroom

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    As Far As Clock Speed Goes

I think it is a way to save a whole bunch of money and avoid unnecessary warranty claims. The card already has 3200 shaders and whether or not AMD/ATI clocked the chip higher would not offer significant gains to almost any gamer at any resolution. I believe it is a logical business decision based on simple math. The card is so damn fast that if they underclock it a bit to avoid almost any cooling issues and power consumption issues then offer headroom for tweakers who realize they can't RMA it if it explodes then it is a win situation for everybody. :toast:

2. Romir New Member

Thanks Received:
    The GTX 295 has a tdp of 289w and uses a 6 + 8 pin connector as well. It obviously doesn't have just 11w of head room as people have been overclocking it just fine all year.

3. Tom20

Tom20 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seems cool!

4. OneCool

OneCool

Thanks Received:

Dont worry...big green is lurking and you better believe their soaking it ALL up.

I can only imagine what they are conjuring up. :shadedshu

Ati has its day now but we ALL know what this means....

5. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That ATI is having its day :D

80 minutes for the reviews.

6. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Zipzoomfly had them for about the same prices and deals at the egg.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  7. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    Damn I need to grab one of these!

8. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
  9. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    there is your proof. 13.29 A @ 12V = ~160W. hd 5970 running gputool stresstest. cable's not even getting warm to the touch
    [​IMG]
    sorry for censoring out the box, it's not relevant for this, it's just convenient because it lets me connect 1 or 2 6 or 8-pin to 2x6 and 1x8pin.

10. sideeffect New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for running that test. It is not typical of a 6 pin PCI-e connector though and the greater power draw was something that was allowed for in the design.

"The PCI Express specification calls for a maximum provision of 300W for graphics, both HD 4870 X2 and HD 5970 max this specification out. With the Cypress GPU, though, we knew it would be require more power than RV770 becuase it was designed as a bigger chip; when designing the HF 5970 we had two options - keep within the specification and the standard infrastructure that exists (and tune the voltages and speeds accordingly) or break the infrascturcture and go beyond the specification. In the end we chose a hybrid - the default speeds are designed to fit within the spec and the default infrastucture, but we designed the board to facilitate higher current draws and allow users with higher quality power supplies to tweak the performance more. Can we guarantee OC specs? No, we can't, but we can say that the GPU's on those boards are screened to be high speed capable. "

Dave Baumann ATI

I never asked you to take my word for it try some independent research and thought. A lot of people have experience that doesn't mean you should never question their information or results or ask for evidence. I have a lot of respect for W1zzard and this website I didn't say he sucked but I still think the analogy was inappropriate.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  11. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My 3870 Pulls about 270-280 when I've got it over clocked, it only has a single 6 pin connector and the power coming from the PCI-E slot.

How can it draw so much power, 150+75 doesn't = 270-280.

Sorry for slightly off topic but it is sort of relevant to the PCI-E power cable discussion.

12. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    sigh ... it has nothing to do with the board .. you want me to run this with a 4870 x2 ? or anything else?

13. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    let's try another analogy (why is water so popular to explain electronics?).. take a garden hose .. run water through it at 100 psi .. works fine ... please note your garden hose is rated for 100 psi max. .. now run water through it at 150 psi... omg more water! and it doesn't explode. how is that possible?

14. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes you can run more if you turn the tap higher, but I thought it was standardised so it COULDN'T allow more for safety reasons.

That's why I was asking how can it be possible.

Not because I don't understand how current works.

15. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    your hose is standardized to 100 psi too but nothing stops you from running it higher, and nothing will happen if you run it at a reasonable amount out of spec

16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats funny because my father was a weapons avionics expert and instructor during the Vietnam era for the U.S. Army. All his notes and lectures were based off of water analogies. I guess its something everyone can relate to. Water.

Anyway back to topic :D