1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon HD 6800 coming sooner than you think?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Super XP, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    True. But he talks about a refresh so it couldn't be released so late. Second half 2011 does make much more sense for the new architecture built on 28nm though.

AMD ends ts fiscal year in last days of December, usually around 25-29 Dec.

2. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Oh, ya you are right I was thinking there was 4 halfs where as theres only 2 :laugh: which means sometime in Q3 - Q4.

The strategy I think AMD is taking with ATI is to pull way ahead of NVIDIA as much as possible. Fermi's massive delay is AMD's massive gain. They are 6+ months ahead of the competition and it seems AMD will do anything to keep it that way. And as rumor states if AMD chooses to go with Global Foundries for there 28nm GPUs this may benefit them or delay them. We may even see low to mid range HD 6000 cards based on 28nm just to test out the new process.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  3. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    their low end will be the first to go to the newer process.

4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Well, seemingly, the new low-end might be Fusion-based parts, so this " safe pretesting" may already be done. Depends on who ends up fabbing them.

5. subhendu

subhendu New Member

Thanks Received:
    when can we expect this 6 series? i sold my 9800gt 6 months back to buy fermi...but my budget is 350$ max:laugh:
    nvidia again postponed releasing date to april 6th....there is something wrong...
    now i am interested in 5850
    is ati going to introduce 3d in new series??? i believe 3d is a waste ..

6. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    get a HD 5870! why? will last longer trust me ;)

7. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    AMD are introducing 3d, but they are just allowing people to use their cards for their 3d solutions. There are a lot of competing companies who want the 3d standard, so instead of fighting them (like nvidia) and potentially losing money, they are just going to sit back while 3d sorts itself out. Which will probably be when tv's that don't require glasses release properly anyway (y'know, when 3d becomes more than just a novelty and requires annoying shutter glasses ect.).

8. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Here the quote from XBit Labs, it's in 2010 not 2011 :)
    You make good point. I don't like Nvidia paying off game developers to force use Phyx and now fight to force use there own non-standard 3D. AMD again doing the right thing and letting the market decide. Nvidia remind me alot about Sony, they doo are a selfish company.:shadedshu

9. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Here a prediction.
    :rockout:

10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    L
    I
    S
    T

Sources. :rolleyes:

11. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, this my prediction. In other word, in my opinion:D

12. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    except sony had a decent market for blu-rays and a medium to force the standard (Ps3). Nvidia don't. Their 3d standard will die as will physX when the standards are decided (and in the case of physX, when game developers care enough to put physics in games without getting paid off for doing so).

Super XP and nt300 say thanks.
  13. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Yes ATI seems to have been doing this for a while now which leaves the question WHY? Why wouldn't NVIDIA do the same with low to midrange Fermi's to further help iron out issues before they launch the big boys? What on earth were they thinking :wtf:
    This is precisely why we need an Open Standard so that no matter what PC or PC parts you buy you will have full access to that standard if you choose to use it or not. It's like SATA, USB 1, 2, 3, IDE, etc. Can you imagin if companies were forcing there own standards with no guarantee it will work with your PC? The same applies to PhysX, not sure :wtf: NVIDIA is smoking but they obviously don't seem to care enough about us gamers let alone the PC industry to help push a open standard WHY :twitch: well why can't I use PhysX with my ATI card :eek:
    Anyway I can really get into it but I don't want to hijack my own thread, I assume many here understand what I am trying to explain.
    NVIDIA being a gamers PowerHouse could have joined forces with ATI/AMD and get a nice working open standard in which IMO 99% of all PC games would have probably supported. But no NVIDIA choose to bribe game developers into using PhysX (A Non-Standard) and charge AMD an arm & a leg if they too wanted to support it. :mad:

LINK:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multim..._Bribes_Game_Developers_to_Promote_PhysX.html

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  14. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    In that case hope AMD gets the open physics in games soon.

15. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the problem with it is, its going to require DX10+ level hardware to achieve (unsure about DX10 systems, thus locking out XP) - they may be waiting for the right time, when XP is a minority.

16. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    There must be a way to make it work on XP. When AMD said in the press release that every PC gamer will be supported regardless of hardware, I believe they meant everybody right? OR older software is the issue.

17. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the thing is, XP doesnt support Direct compute (part of DX11, which will be/kinda has been (beta) ported to vista).

Unless openCL does it and somehow manages to do it without needing DX11 (EG, done completely independently of directX) theres no way for it to happen.

18. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft need to push Windows 7 and try to get XP replaced. But looks like 2014 is the year MS will not support xp anymore. But does not really matter because most gamers and developers are going to buy vista/win7 or already have vista/win7 and/or Dualbooting vista/win7 + xp.
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&x=16&y=12&C2=1173

19. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    yea dx11 is gonna come and rock the world with sexiness. then the HD 68XX series is gonna cum n explode all over that sexiness, having nvidia clean up the dust.

20. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    What?
    Hope HD 6000 doesn't bring DX12 because we havent even fully use DX11 let alone enough of DX10.1 :eek:

21. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    what you talking about, bring on dx12 I DUN CARE! lol, MOney to burn baby MONEY TO BURN! ITS the name of the game

22. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    I doubt the HD6XXX series would have DX12 features, way too soon for that!

23. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: burn money burn.
    Check out this link. Is the HD 6000 really coming in late 2010. ATI working on 2 new designs called Hecatoncheires and Northern Islands. :D

24. Salvadorian Stuff

Salvadorian Stuff New Member

Thanks Received:
    something I would like to have on the new 6800 series would be better voltage management, higher speed of course, and a better heatsink design..
    I like the way Ati/Amd codename the chips :) (Cozumel, Ibza.. etc for the upcoming hd 6000 series) I would like someday Amd call a chip 'El Salvador' (the Savior) like my country :) I will respect that.. I gonna keep dreaming

25. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    lol i never said anything bout dx12. def not on the HD 6XXX series. so supposed H2 launch? sounds believable, it'll be a yr since the HD 5870 launch on sept 23rd. I def think a nov/dec launch is possible. be dynamite if it did also. They got nvidia right now, so by nov/dec i would think most people will have heard ATI's name more, so come xmas when people want gifts, ATI will be thought of since i seriously dout Nvidia will have anything to counter.