1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon HD 7970: Bulldozer vs. Sandy Bridge vs. Nehalem

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its all about what games. if you look, DX11 games is where bulldozer shines. look at the reviews where intel is ahead, and its all DX9 games where single threaded performance matters.
    Aquinus, Daimus and abundant threading say thanks.
  2. abundant threading

Thanks Received:
    Where there are 3 more will come. perhaps its not so much that the FX needs to catch up and more about how apps might catch up.
  3. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    I wonder why all the attention on the game. Many people use bulldozer as a low-cost server, a friend of mine built a 10 render farms on the basis of BD and very happy, because it cost him a lot cheaper than a similar farm productivity on the basis of a competitor.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Artas1984

Thanks Received:
    It's all normal - remember that Phenom II was originally targeted against Core 2 Duo Wolfdale/Yorkfield processors, and seeing as how clock/per clock the Phenom II is faster than FX, it's no wonder that FX can not beat Nehalem or Westmere processors..

Phenom II <-> FX
    Core 2 Duo --> Nehalem/Westmere ---> Sandy Bridge

AMD is 2 generations behind and lagging. With Ivy Bridge launch AMD will be 3 generations lagging. Amazing...
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Reviving a dead thread to say what everyone has already said multiple times? AMD is not 2 generations behind and I'm sick of saying this. Software will not remain single threaded and AMD is looking towards the future. BD is fast ENOUGH on a single thread (yes, IPC needs improvement,) but when it comes to pushing this chip on all cores, it's just as good at the 2600k and when pile-driver and various successive chips that come in to replace BD, you will see that AMD has a much better platform in terms of scaling to more cores. You can only make circuitry so small and eventually Intel will realize as well that optimizing for space will become a concern over pushing single-threaded speeds to their limits.

Imagine if GPUs kept using pixel and vertex pipelines. Yeah, they were faster but they were more specialized and took up a ton of space. Shaders were slower but they were general purpose and you could shove a ton of them on a GPU. BD and CPU cores are no different, it just takes time.
  6. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    Deadhorse alert
  7. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

This says it all!
  8. XNine

XNine CaseLabs Rep

Thanks Received:
    Quick Question, how well do you think this would fair with LGA2011 and the Sandy Bridge-E CPU 3820? Better or similar to the 2500K setup that was tested?
  9. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I'd think the 3820 should be at least on par with the 2500K. Not that much of a difference really, unless you're using 3 or 4 GPUs (the 3820 has more PCIe lanes)
    XNine says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. XNine

XNine CaseLabs Rep

Thanks Received:
    Awesome! Thanks for the input. :) I am a new Intel convert. Been using AMD for years so it's just a whole new world coming over to Intel lol