1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon reference design 6970/6950 failure!

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by musek, Dec 16, 2010.

1. musek

musek

Thanks Received:
    I almost couldn't believe it. Seems like something went wrong while designing the card.
    Here's the link to article

Design team failed fitting the cooler with the cards itself. I mean... that's just bad.
    And the joke is hilarious:

"Dear AMD

Hahahahahahaha,

Best regards,
    Jen-Hsun Huang. "

:roll:

2. HXL492

HXL492

Thanks Received:
    I don't get how the cards themselves are a failure, they just didn't perform as well as we hoped they would. Overall they're still great cards just aimed at a different market segment

3. musek

musek

Thanks Received:
    That's not the case. Someone designed a reference cooler that didn't fit on the card.
    IMO this IS fail.

4. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Oh wow. That is just unacceptable. I wonder if board partners will latch onto this in RMAs and blame it on the customer...

5. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    meh - it's a piece of plastic which gets cut/removed to the cooler can fit. I would like to see the corresponding part of the cooler which necessitates the removal of that corner before deciding if it is bad design or not.

6. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd rather the cooler be properly sized and have them trim a noxious piece of useless plastic then deal with other issues. this type of stuff goes on all the time in various manufacturing lines everywhere. I won't eve get started on the bodyshops at most of the automotive manufacturers where sledgehammers might be involved to get body panels to fit correctly into the robotic welding jigs.

So its not the end of the world, nor is it even a topic worthy of discussion. More then likely the connector came in a bit over clearance spec or the cooler did. the problem is easily rectified, I would gather that would add roughly 3-4 minutes per card for assembly time. A big PITA once discovered and definately could cuase a line halt. Certainly not to end of the world. Certainly nothing to make a big deal of.

anyways I'd consider buying the card regardless. except I am not currently in the market for a card.

7. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    my only concern would be shorting issues, most likely not a concern as a video card is not in a enviroment where it could even become problematic.

8. largon

largon

Thanks Received:
    The cooler is most likely designed by a 3rd party for AMD.
    But this is pretty bad...

On a side not, I think AMD's post-HD4k series PCBs have been less smart. Cypress and Cayman both have terrible amounts of wasted PCB around and in VRM section. HD4870 & 90 are nice and compact. HD58_0 & HD69_0 are just bloated.

9. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    oh no...it's the end of AMD...all is lost...:eek:

Good thing I already ordered my 6950. :D

I let you all know when the cooler falls off and the card explodes. :rolleyes:

EastCoasthandle says thanks.
  10. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It seems that it is the fan that interferes with the power socket.

Not a big issue, and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see it on any other cards than the first batch that ATi was rushing to get out on the market. They probably noticed it already, but didn't feel it was necessary to hold up production for, and just manually modified the first batch. I don't really see a big deal here since most users would never remove the HSF to notice it anyway.

angelkiller says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  11. Flibolito

Flibolito

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering about that a buddy of mine in Germany got one and said it was hitting 94C with that fan on auto, manual fan turned up he got 89C which is suspiciously high for such a refined cool running design. The way this looks is that the card were rushed for the holiday season. First the performance and now this although in a little while I'm sure the drivers will help the card perform better. Looks like this might increase the prices of Nvidia cards rather than leveling them out :(.

12. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    That's what all the reviews say about the temps too.

13. Flibolito

Flibolito

Thanks Received:
    Once all this gets sorted out these will be crossfire beasts since the frame buffer is nice and big (2GB) till then I would stay away.

14. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

Stay away!

15. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have read a fewreviews and feedback comments where the driver updates have dramatically lowered tempatures.

I am thinking the next run of cards should offer more refinements.

16. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    Got my Sapphire HD 6950 installed. :toast:

In 3DMark Vantage temps maxed at 60C with the fan at 30% or lower. Score 18730. :)

In FurMark temps maxed at 69C with the fan reaching 32%. Score 3507. :)

Didn't hear anything, nor did anything blow up. But the card did kick a puppy. :shadedshu

17. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    That seems odd, and not matching reviews. If the cooler can really perform that well maybe people should try reseating or tightening their screws.

18. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    remeber reviewers are getting preshipment hardware thats been in a state of running repair and modification for some time. I'd bet the reviewer hardware was old test mule stuff on first run pcb's.

most of those problems may have been nixed.

or its a collosal plot by AMD to out hardware reviewers.

19. Nirutbs

Nirutbs

Thanks Received:
    they designed it its way not failed for me it's pretty good not the best that y i use 580..ie..ie...

20. Nirutbs

Nirutbs

Thanks Received:
    and wait for the suitable driver

21. blu3flannel

blu3flannel

Thanks Received:
    While they definitely could have found a more professional solution, I'm glad to see that they're able to improvise. :D

22. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    one engineer got fire or demoted and another got promoted and got a raise.

likely the smart guy who siad "grind the damned connector" got nothing.

LOL.

23. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    It is one of those sites that grab the smallest thing and make a bug fuss and all emo about it again.
    That little bit of plastic does not serve much function anyways.
    The main purpose of that socket is to hold the pci-e power connector in place.
    It does not prevent any kind of arching or short-circuiting as the pin are exposed on that end anyways, and +12V is not enough to cause any arching.

24. Supremo_Lagarto New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is not that surprising. Being first to market a new product at this time of year is fairly critical. The next batch will no doubt have a new replacement mold for the plastic sheathe of the effected 8 pin connector so that the cooler fits with no problems.

They had a choice between putting all of these cards back on the shelf and then replacing that connector on each card, or taking a short cut, allowing the cards to get to the market when they were supposed to.

My only concern (as Thatguy mentioned) would be an electrical short if one of the pins somehow touched the metal cooler. Or if someone touched the metal cooler while the system was on (which was accidentally touching a metal pin from the 8 pin connector). That would then make the user part of the electrical circuit involving over 20 amperes of current.

However, that would definitely make AMD's cards the most exciting video cards in the world. No contest.

25. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    that bastard! :eek: