1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon X800GTO2 cooling: GPU+RAM on air or GPU on water?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by indotoonster, Nov 11, 2005.

1. indotoonster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi there,

I'm new to this forum. Anyway, I just bought a Radeon X800GTO2 and am looking to install it over the weekend. It came with an ATI Silencer 5 which looks very impressive, in particular I like that fact that it cools both the GPU and the RAM.

However, I also have a watercooling setup, and I have a spare Asetek VGA waterblock like this one, so I was planning on making use of it.

Obviously, this waterblock doesn't cover the RAM, so I was thinking of sticking on RAMsinks on.

Before I went ahead and did this, I was wondering whether any of you had any thoughts on which would be better? Does cooling the RAM make a huge difference? Would there be a big difference in O/C ability if I swapped the ATI Silencer and used the RAMsinks instead?

I realize that the best answer to this is to try both out and run ATITool, but I thought I'd ask around for expert knowledge first :)

Cheers,
    indotoonster

2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    cooling of the ram does help oc'ing and thus would help preformance id say go ahead and use the block it will probably cool your core better than the arctic silencer then i would just put some ram sinks on.

3. indotoonster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Solaris17, yep, I agree that cooling RAM is beneficial, but I guess what I'm wondering is whether the improved core cooling from the GPU waterblock is worth the sacrifice from active(?) RAM cooling of the ATI Silencer to passive ramsinks...