1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radiator Question

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by kiddagoat, May 18, 2011.

1. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    I have narrowed my radiator choices down to these two:

Swiftech MCR320

Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360

Would the Swiftech be enough?? I will be cooling my 570s with one of these and by the looks of the two, it seems that the Black Ice is a bit thicker and the radiator coils are denser.

I think my three Scythe Kaze Slip Stream would be good for the Swiftech, but for the Black Ice, I will need another three fans for a good push pull because the coils are so dense, the three I have now won't work.

BTW, I have an 800D, got it for $85 at Microcenter.

2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    You need a lot of fan for the GTX rad, but it does perform better when you do. The Swiftech would do great with medium speed fans tho. I used a Swiftech on my previous card (4870X2) with Yate Loon mediums, and temps were great.

I have an original GTX 360 on my cpu. With medium to low sped fans, it actually does worse than the Swiftech. (thus the reason I use it for the cpu)

kiddagoat says thanks.
  3. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    I am trying to keep the noise down while getting the best cooling possible. The whole reason for me doing a WC system is because my GPU fans are obnoxiously loud. Granted when I have my headset on, I really don't hear anything and they are whisper quiet. When take them off, my computer sounds like a wind tunnel.

Do you really think that the MCR320-QP will have enough capacity with the 1600rpm Scythes that it will be able to cool the 570s??? I am putting them in a push fashion in my 800D with a Aerocool shark pulling air in from the bottom of the case.

I don't mind the thicker Radiator but I would like to save the $50 and keep the noise down if I can.

4. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Thick rads need higher RPM fans, and I'd always suggest going larger rad when available.

How the hell did you find an 800D for under a bill?

Edit, what vga blocks are you putting on them?

kiddagoat says thanks.
  5. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    Microcenter had an open box 800D for $83.95. It was missing all the fans, hot swap bays, sata cables, fan/hot swap bay covers, and whoever had it before touched a heat gun or something to the 140mm lower fan grill because it was a bit melted and twisted. Going to make my own grill and fix it. Not really all that bad.

I was looking at these water blocks:

EK 570/580 GTX

I am thinking about going from my IC Diamond compound to some MX-4.

6. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    If you are looking at Black Ice radiators, I would suggest this one, as it is a good all around performer with any speed fan. I have one and it is a real solid performer, and it is thicker than the Swifty.

http://www.dangerden.com/store/black-ice-xtremeiii-radiator.html

If I had to do it again, I would probably get a thicker XPSC RX 360, as it works fantastic with fans at 1000 rpms. They are about $10 cheaper at Sidewinder Computers, but they are out of stock right now.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8...X360_Triple_120mm_Radiator.html?tl=g30c95s161

kiddagoat says thanks.
  7. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Or try to find a used PA 120.3. Works extremely well with the lower fan speeds.

EDIT: Actually, Sidewinder has the PA 140.3 on sale right now for $109. It with some 1200-1500rpm 140mm fans could cool you entire computer quietly, as long as you didn't uber OC. http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thpa420ra.html

Last edited: May 19, 2011
    kiddagoat says thanks.
  8. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Damn, that's a sweet deal. I wish I needed/could afford one of those, I'd jump on it. The lower price of the rad would offset the cost of some nice 140mm fans, which ain't cheap.

kiddagoat says thanks.
  9. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    MCR320 would do well for 2x 570.. probably about 400 watts of heat will be dumped by the 570s on load.. youd get about 9c degree delta ambient to water temps on a 1.5k rpm fans which is not that bad

[​IMG]

If you want silence, GTX rad should be out of your option. If you want total silence and good performance go with those low fpi, thick rads.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
    kiddagoat says thanks.
  10. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    agree, larger rad would give you larger area to cool the water so it would improve your temp :toast:

kiddagoat says thanks.
  11. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    I decided to get the Swiftech Rad. Thanks all for your comments.