1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radiator Recommendation

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by ortizimo, Aug 18, 2012.

1. ortizimo

ortizimo New Member

Thanks Received:
    hello all! just trying to get recommendation of the best rad for the $. I need a x2 120 rad and I'm between the swiftech mcr220-xp or koolance high flow.

basically i understand the difference between them one having a brass core and the other copper.

while brass has a thermal conductivity of 109 units of heat being dissipated while running @ 25c, copper has a 401 units @ 25c, but i would like to know of any issues or bad experiences of those who have used either of these. Thnx.

2. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    copper cools better brass is cheaper
    simple as that
    cooper can turn green and corrode if the loop is not keept clean I would use a silver-kill-coil + distilled water or your non reactive coolent of choice
    also if using a copper rad its not a good idea to use a Aluminum block they can't react with the copper causing nasty goo in the loop nickle plated blocks are fine tho
    brass while more resistant to corrosion does not cool any-ware near as good as copper I always go with copper or nickel its very rare for a copper rad to corrode unless you are dumping tap water in on a routine basis or mixing iron/steel and copper ...
    NEVER USE chlorinated water ever This pretty much excludes tap water!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
    trickson says thanks.
  3. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    swiftech makes the best I have 2 of them never a problem at all 5 years now.

4. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    But Swiftech still make the best, Right? lol.

5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Swiftech isn't the "best" they are a good bang for your buck but that's as far as I would go. To this day the best performing 2x120mm rad I have used is a brass heatercore with high speed fans in push/pull with shrouds. If I was you would I would get into the reviews and decide yourself what you want in comparison to fan noise and pump flow.

MT Alex says thanks.