1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Raid 1 Questions - Help Is Needed Quick !!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MiPilot, Nov 13, 2007.

1. MiPilot New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi All,

I have a Seagate 320g drive that is my primary. As of lately it has been acting very suspiciously and I am getting concerned that it is going to quit. I have an identical drive I was going to use for a future build but now thinking of installing it in this unit in a RAID 1 configuration. So this is where it gets interesting.

Drive 0 is partitioned into 4 separate 80g drives. I would like to install drive 1 and configure the drives as a Raid 1.

1. Now will I have to partition drive 1 to match drive 0?
    2. Can/or will the raid controller automatically mirror the first drive onto the second?
    3. Will i run the risk of losing data when setting up the raid?
    4. Or should I just backup the drive instead of all of this?

Your help is appreciated,

MiPilot

2. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Depends on the controller, why not simply copy the drive to the other and RMA the first one?

3. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I would ghost the drive to the new or better drive and then if you need an array of raid 1 then ghost from the good image to the array ...none of this should be done from windows and ghost is a symantec product:toast:

4. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Like the other guy said, backup and RMA it.

Step 1. Backup or store all the info to another external drive or source.
    Step 2. Put Drive 2 (after getting replacment drive for drive 1) along with Drive 1
    Step 3. Thru Bios Configure the drives to be part of Raid Group and specify Raid 1. So it will warn you about data loss. After conforming to that message its going to format both drives and group them as Raid 1.
    Step 4. Try to partition the drive if possible from with bios utility.
    Step 5. Install windows on first partition (it may ask for drivers)
    Step 6. If Windows XP SP 1 it will recognize the whole full 320GB. So finish installing the OS and update to SP2.
    Step 7. Go into Computer management and add the extra partition to the OS or u can partition into how many ever and add it.
    Step 8. May be you need to install Seagate optimize tool to see the full size of the drive.

Good luck.