1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RAID and windows 7 question

Discussion in 'Storage' started by ShRoOmAlIsTiC, Jun 15, 2010.

1. ShRoOmAlIsTiC

ShRoOmAlIsTiC

Thanks Received:
    I already have windows installed and I want to play with some raid on another set of drives. I originally installed windows with my drives as ahci. Now when I try to raid 0 2 other drives and in bios I switch it from ahci to raid I get blue screen going into windows. is there anyway around this?

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Not if you want to keep the original HDD as OS boot. I believe that goes for Xp Vista and Win 7.

3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yes there is a way around it, but it isn't free(though it is cheap).

First you need to buy this adaptors: Rosewill RC-A-SATA-IDE SATA to IDE Adapter

Then you use that to connect your SATA drive to the IDE connector on your board. Boot the system like this with the SATA ports still set to ACHI in the BIOS. Then, reboot the system and change the SATA ports to RAID in the BIOS. Boot the system like this, it should boot normally. Install the proper RAID drivers in the OS, rebooting the system afterwards. Switch the OS drive back over to the SATA port and ditch the adaptor.

The machine is blue screening because it is trying to use the ACHI driver on the RAID controller, when it needs RAID drivers. Normally this wouldn't be to big of a problem if the OS drive wasn't connected to the controller, as it would just not use the controller, but since the OS drive is on the RAID controller, it doesn't have the proper drivers and freaks out, leading to a blue screen. Moving the OS drive over to the IDE port/controller, eliminates the problem, because it does have proper drivers for that already.

ShRoOmAlIsTiC and AsRock say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. ShRoOmAlIsTiC

ShRoOmAlIsTiC

Thanks Received:
    damn looks like its time format soon, I just got 2 more 300gb v-raptors and plan on raid-0ing them. Wanted to test em first and what kinda speeds i would be looking at if I short stroked the raid to 150gb(from 600gb) Hopefully my new motherboard will be here soon and I can do it all then.

5. ShRoOmAlIsTiC

ShRoOmAlIsTiC

Thanks Received:
    got it to work, in bios there is an option to have the last 2 sata ports emulate ide while the rest is still in raid, so i switched the ports of my primary drive to the 5th sata port and enabled combine mode. the 2 v-raptors show up as raid drives and the primary drive shows up as an ide.