• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

raid help

fafa21

Processor Intel core 2quad q9650 @3.6 ghz
Motherboard asus x38 p5e
Cooling 7 fans
Memory 6gb 1X1 gb ozc and 2X2 gb gskills 1066mhz
Video Card(s) powercolor hd 6870 1gb 256-bit GDDR5
Storage 1t seagate barracuda and one 300 gb velociraptor and 250 GB wd caviar for backups
Display(s) ultrasharp dell 22 inchs
Case antec 900
Audio Device(s) x-plosion 7.1 cinema.
Power Supply extreme rosewill 750 watts
Software triple boot windows xp pro 32bit and vista home premium 64bit and windows 7 premuim
Benchmark Scores 4330 in 3dmark 11
hey i really don’t know much about raid so could some one explain to me how it works and what it dos also i have a 160 gb hard drive and a 250 gb could i use them in raid .

thanks

rick22

System Name bubba
Processor e something
Motherboard old but good mobo
Cooling my farts
Memory can't find it
Video Card(s) EVGA 250 took a shit..back to my 4850..fk off ati fanboys
Storage i think i have one
Display(s) not sure but it sucks
Case lol my mouth
Audio Device(s) me
Power Supply ass farts
Software that sucks to
Benchmark Scores i'm so fat i sat on the bench and smashed assssit
depends what kind of raid your wanting to use..you can RAId those two drives to gether but you will only get to use 160gb of the 250gb on the second drive

freaksavior

To infinity ... and beyond!
System Name ZeroUptime | M.A.S.S / MM1
Processor Xeon 2659 v3 / Xeon 2683 v4 / ARM A14
Motherboard Asus X99-E-10G WS / ASRock x99 usb 3.1 / Apple
Cooling NZXT Kraken / Noctua NH-L12 / Apple
Memory 16Gb DDR4 / 32Gb DDR4 / 16GB HBLM
Video Card(s) Powercooler ATI vega 64 / GT 7300 / ARM
Storage Samsung 970 512 Evo NVMe / A lot. / 256 + 512 External TB3
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 / Headless / Acer X34 Non predator
Case NZXT H630 |Rosewill 8bay 4u server chasiss / MMM1
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corais HX850 | Corsair TX750 / Internal 250w
Mouse g502 proteus core / Headless / g502 proteus core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Cherry Blue / Headless / K65 Cherry Red
Software Windows 10 / ESXI / Big Sur 11.2.2
i love wiki :D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

i don't mean to be rude, but try googling what your looking for first. typically you can find it in about 15 sec with a google search ;)

RAID is a way to have disks work together, mainly to offer some safety for your data. (by either mirroring or parity)

The techkids here commonly use it for performance though, which RAID0 represents. (technically it isn't RAID though, due to the lack of redundancy)

RAID0 basically splits (stripes) data so 2 disks are used at once, think of writing a 1GB file, half gets written to one drive half to another which results in double the performance. Of course this is oversimplified but that's what it does. Of course if 1 drive crashes you lose all data since you miss half the file.

RAID1 mirrors all data, it writes the same data to both drives, ie if a drive fails the other takes over.

RAID2 is not used, it requires tons of drives and does some ECC stuff which is built into drives nowadays.

RAID3,4 and 5 basically use a drive for parity, the difference is doing it at bitlevel or not and whether to use 1 disk for parity or putting it on all drives. Exact differences aren't relevant since your cheap controller won't support 3 or 4 and RAID5 is more common anyway.

RAID6 is RAID5 with 2 parity disks, you can't afford a controller that does that nor is such a thing useful for you. (it's really rare that 2 drives in an array fail at once, if they do it's caused by something that took down the whole system anyway (power surge or whatever) in which all drives are screwed anyway.

RAID7 is used by a single company, not sure what it does nor which company it was, again you can't afford nor need it anyway.

There are also some ways to combine multiple RAID levels, ie creating an array of 2 or more other arrays, these are 10, 01, 50 etc. They require more drives as well.

Can your drives work in RAID? Yes they can, it's not recommended though. You should use identical drives for best performance.

fafa21

Motherboard asus x38 p5e
Cooling 7 fans
Storage 1t seagate barracuda and one 300 gb velociraptor and 250 GB wd caviar for backups
Case antec 900
Software triple boot windows xp pro 32bit and vista home premium 64bit and windows 7 premuim
i gess i dont want to do raid any more but i have this 2 hard drive how can i use bolth of them at the same time

rick22

System Name bubba
Processor e something
Motherboard old but good mobo
Cooling my farts
Memory can't find it
Video Card(s) EVGA 250 took a shit..back to my 4850..fk off ati fanboys
Storage i think i have one
Display(s) not sure but it sucks
Case lol my mouth
Audio Device(s) me
Power Supply ass farts
Software that sucks to
Benchmark Scores i'm so fat i sat on the bench and smashed assssit
are they IDE or sata? either way just throwm them in there if you have the extra connections available and away you go

fafa21

Motherboard asus x38 p5e
Cooling 7 fans
Case antec 900
they are sata

Processor 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Stock
Memory Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4x4 1866@99927 1.41v
Video Card(s) Sapphire 280x
Display(s) crossover
Case junk
Audio Device(s) usbstick
Power Supply enermax 82+pro 5years+ still good
software raid is nice as long as your using the exact same mobo. when your mobo dies, or your switching it for something new, all your data will become unaccessible. so its more like a high risk gamble, are u upto it ?

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
I would also like to add that RAID (whether its 0, 1, 5, 0+1 w/e) is not a backup solution. In fact, you need to backup more often. When you RAID two or more drives together, you actually double (for two drive triple for three, you get the idea) your chances of having a hdd die on you.

Again, neither RAID array is a preventative from doing regular backups. Backups are still highly recommended in case of an unforeseeable event.

k0rn_h0li0

Processor Amd opteron socket 940 250 sledgehammer 2.4ghz x2
Motherboard amd k8t master2 far
Cooling msi k8t stock heatsinks
Memory 2x1gig random ecc ram
Video Card(s) ati x1600 512mb agp pro 8x
Storage seagate 2x200 gig hdd
Display(s) dunno
Case aprevia navigator
Audio Device(s) creative pro 5.1 sorround
Power Supply antec 500 watt psu
Software windows xp media center 2005
hmm how can you setup a backup drive?

so if i'm using pata/ide to connect onboard what raid is it in?

and if i'm using sata what would that be in?

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Mouse Logitech G604s
hmm how can you setup a backup drive?

so if i'm using pata/ide to connect onboard what raid is it in?

and if i'm using sata what would that be in?

You setup RAID on both SATA and IDE as you normally would. They both can do all RAID arrays. You can only assign a RAID array to a set of hard drives that the motherboard supports. Same goes for a RAID controller.

Example, both IDE and SATA hard drives can do RAID, 0, 1, 3, 5, 10, 0+1, 50, etc.

You still have to back up your data to a CD or DVD or a separate hard drive to have a hard copy of it.

k0rn_h0li0

Processor Amd opteron socket 940 250 sledgehammer 2.4ghz x2
Motherboard amd k8t master2 far
Cooling msi k8t stock heatsinks
Memory 2x1gig random ecc ram
Video Card(s) ati x1600 512mb agp pro 8x
Storage seagate 2x200 gig hdd
Display(s) dunno
Case aprevia navigator
Audio Device(s) creative pro 5.1 sorround
Power Supply antec 500 watt psu
Software windows xp media center 2005
oh okay so you can set it up to any raid but the more you use the more likely you might lose the hdd. interesting thanks for the knowledge. although i wonder how can i back up that much information XD

Mouse Logitech G604s
The more hard drives you use in the raid array, the more likely you are to have a hard drive fail. Pending on which RAID array you lose, you may be able to lose a drive or two. With RAID 0, you can afford to lose any drives as everything that is contained on those hard drives in the array, will be gone.

The only thing you back up are what you normally would in a non RAID array. (eg Music, pictures, documents, etc. Not the drive as a whole)

ex_reven

The more hard drives you use in the raid array, the more likely you are to have a hard drive fail. Pending on which RAID array you lose, you may be able to lose a drive or two. With RAID 0, you can afford to lose any drives as everything that is contained on those hard drives in the array, will be gone.

The only thing you back up are what you normally would in a non RAID array. (eg Music, pictures, documents, etc. Not the drive as a whole)

I think its important to realise that a drive is not more likely to fail just because it is in raid. It isnt being used any more than it would have been without the raid setup. So if your drive fails in a raid, it would have failed outside of raid anyway. Though the contents of the other disks in the raid would be preserved had they been left as invidual drives.

If your an average user or gamer you should be able to chuck your stuff onto dvds easily for backup. Eg I have a dvd for software, a dvd for music, and another dvd for my documents.
Its only when you have a large number of files that it becomes difficult (and/or more expensive) to raid.

Pending on which RAID array you lose, you may be able to lose a drive or two.

Only RAID1 with more than 2 drives allows for failure of more than 1 disk at the same time. Other than that you'd need RAID6 (not an official RAID level) or RAID 50/51 (mix of RAID 5 and 0/1). Additionally hot spares could help, though they do not allow failure of 2 drives at once.

As for harddrive failure increasing with RAID, that's exactly why RAID exists, to protect against harddrive failure. It decreases the chance of losing data. (RAID0 isn't actually RAID for exactly that reason, it offers no redundancy)

B

bassmasta

wait, if a raid 0 system fails, can you format the living drive back to normal, or are they both gone permanantly?

I've got two 250GB SATA drives running in RAID0.

As with anything, just back up everything of importance to some other sort of hard drive if you're worried about losing it. Externals are fairly cheap. I've got a lot of stuff backed up on an old Seagate Elite 47 SCSI drive in another computer. In this case, due to the size of the drives I've got an external Western Digital 250gb thing I picked up for virtually free at one of those CompUSA sales last year.

I've messed around with RAID before, I've got an old PCI card for it somewhere, don't even remember where I got the card either.

I've found that while this looked good on paper and benchmarks well, the real world performance difference you notice is sometimes minimal unless you do something that noticably requires a large amount of hard drive read/writes on a regular basis.

My ancient non RAID Athlon Tbird would boot to XP just as fast as this computer will, only had a 100GB 7200rpm drive and 40gb 7200rpm drive, both standard IDEs.

B

bassmasta

I think loading the OS is a ram-based operation, not harddrive

B

bassmasta

?>.> I've found faster ram to help load OS more than a harddrive

I'd venture to say it is a combination of both, if you have a system low on ram the computer will be writing to the hard drive for its page file, slowing down the time it takes to boot, if you want to see this happen take a few RAM sticks out of your computer and put some small chips in if you've got some floating around. The computer will likely be slow to load, regardless of what speed the hard drive is.

A couple of years ago my friend at work gave me an emachines computer, think it was a Celeron 433 or something, still not a terribly slow computer at the time in terms of processor speed. Her sister had bought a new computer because it was too slow. I booted the computer up, which took roughly 10 minutes. Checked to see the amount of RAM and it was 32MB. Even at the time the computer would have been new that was a low amount. I put a 128 in and the computer booted about twice as fast, and operated so much faster you'd have thought it was a different computer. I sold it off and made a few bucks.

As far as the hard drive's influence on the boot process, take a computer which has plenty of RAM for it's applications. Then take an old slow hard drive and throw it in for kicks (try to find one of those 1.7gb 4500 RPM Seagates if you really want to see it crawl). Watch your computer drag along.

Other factors include the programs you load at startup, the more you load the longer it takes to boot.

I've always been a believer in having fast hard drives. Before it got terribly outdated for even a few years afer I built it, when I'd go to a store and see a budget machine that couldn't load programs as fast as my old Athlon system because the manufacturer cut corners and used cheap slow hard drives (when they were running 5400rpm drives as opposed to the 7200rpm drives I used), knew the money was well spent.

From any standpoint I should be better off on this computer RAID0 and 3GB ram, I'm sure as time drags on the benefits of the fast hard drive system and RAM will become more apparent.

Sure, when RAM is being the bottleneck it matters a lot. Then again in that case all parts matter, try booting Vista on a 486. Fact is, harddrives are the biggest bottlenecks in most systems.

ex_reven

Sure, when RAM is being the bottleneck it matters a lot. Then again in that case all parts matter, try booting Vista on a 486. Fact is, harddrives are the biggest bottlenecks in most systems.

Agreed.
After all, data has to be written into ram from the hard drive. So regardless of the speed of your ram, it can only get the data as fast as the hard drive will access it.