1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RAID Newb Help

Discussion in 'Storage' started by JayEm, Aug 30, 2010.

1. JayEm New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've never set ones of these up before so need some help!

Currently I've got three hard drives split into nine partitions with none of them apart from my music backed up; so I'm thinking of buying a couple of 1TB or 1.5TB drives and setting up a RAID1 array. How do I do it? Can I mix non-RAID and RAID drives? My motherboard is an ASUS M4A78 Pro.

2. OSWiz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Holy Partitions Batman -- and RAID arrays too. In this day and age, with HDDs so cheap and super fast SSDs, there's really no need for partitioning nor RAID arrays. Ignore your partitions and RAID array -- what are you trying to achieve?

3. JayEm New Member

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: lol, it wasn't entirely intentional. At first I had an 80GB hard drive split into 3 for Windows XP, Ubuntu and storage. That quickly filled up so I added a 250GB drive and reinstalled XP onto it, leaving the first drive as it was. When that was full, it was about time for a major upgrade (the old Sempron 3k had seen better days) and I ended up buying a 500GB drive and a copy of Windows 7.

Now all the drives and partitions are in a mess, none of it is backed up which is my major concern. So RAID arrays are a no-no?

4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It should be as simple as setting the SATA controller to RAID mode, then going into the RAID configuration during boot and configuring the array.

You will likely have to re-install Windows to do this properly though, as all the drives will likely switch to RAID mode, even if some of the drives are not actually part of a RAID array.

Yes, you can have drives that are just single drives mixed with drives that are in a RAID array.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  5. JayEm New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm, if that's the case, I might have to ditch the idea and just plug a couple of drives in... Can't be bothered reinstalling the OS. :banghead:

6. OSWiz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Geez, yup, you got a real mess there, LOL. Just get a 2TB HDD and back up all the partitions on to it using Acronis True Image Clone.

7. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    thats a lot of music