1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Raid setup

Discussion in 'Storage' started by evilwillie0614, Dec 7, 2010.

1. evilwillie0614

evilwillie0614 New Member

Thanks Received:
    goodday TPU'ers i just want to ask how raid setup realy works and how will i do this.
    i tried to do it today but it seems that my mobo does not support raids. :confused:
    may be i just dont know how to do it, can anyone of you help me setup RAID on my system?
    please see my specs. and here is my bios model 0406.
    thanks!.. :)
  2. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    SATA RAID 0/1/10/JBOD

You can do it :)

It is setup in the bios at first and then you need to setup the raid
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your motherboard supports 0/1/10/JBOD RAIDS

Both hard drives have to be the exact same (someone correct me if im wrong)
  4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    It can be different drives but problems can accor later on. its recommended to do the same exact drive to raid.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    If your motherboard supports it, which it seems it does, you need to connect the HDDs to the same controller. Some motherboards have more than one RAID controller (eg. SATA ports 1-6 on one controller, 7-8 on another etc.). Plug the HDDs in, in BIOS, enable RAID mode for the SATA controller (it will currently be set to IDE/SATA/AHCI or something). After that when you reboot, you'll get the RAID setup screen. Create your array, select RAID mode, stripe size etc.
    NOTE - Creating the array will wipe both HDDs clean. After thats done, install Windows. During installation, you'll have to provide RAID drivers (make sure you have them on floppy, USB). Its really useful to have a laptop or a secondary comp handy in case you realize you don't have the right drivers (32-bit or 64-bit. Also, 64-bit RAID drivers have to be signed etc.). And thats it. You're done. Run a benchmark when you're done (HDTach, HDTune or something).

From personal experience:
    1. My motherboard has 2 RAID controllers. One is JMicron, the other is controlled by the southbridge. Research online and on MSI forums told me the southbridge controller is a lot better, so thats what I use. Planning to extend my RAID 0 array to 4 disks soon.
    2. 64 bit RAID drivers HAVE to be signed. I wasn't able to find signed 64 bit RAID drivers (the one on the driver disk and online on MSI/AMD website weren't signed, or so Microsoft claimed). If you have the same problem, an easy fix is use the 32 bit drivers. Once windows is done installing, it will update the drivers itself to the 64 bit version.